Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hmmmm... interesting Idea...

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
My aunt and cousin together have 9 piggies (Coco, Louise, Maria, Sugar, Slick (Only Male), Teddy, Patches, Leda, and Bump.) They aren't able to get cubes or coroplast so they had a weird Idea. They have a Pantry that is now empty. They wanted to flat out put the pigs in there. Their plan was to just put the pigs in there (It's a linoleum floor) and close the door or put up a piece of plexglass instead of a door. There are no wires or anything dangerous. The trim and other stuff was ripped out. They all are litter trained for the most part. They were just going to vacuum and mop in there every day. What do you think?

Sierra

Cavy Slave
I would think it would be okay as long as there was enough ventilation. Are you talking about a walk in pantry or like a pantry cupboards?

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
A big walk in pantry. It has one window so I'm guessing it'll be okay as long as they can keep out drafts in the winter...

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
A board across the doorway would work much better then closing the door. If the board is 10" - 12" high they shouldn't be able to jump out but people could easily step in.

Closing the door would cut off ventilation and scare the pigs every time it's opened or closed.

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
True... I think they are leaning towards making a barrier vs. closing the door. I'll have to call them.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Is the boar neutered? If he isn't, it's not a good idea to put him in there with all the girls. The idea sounds ok, but linoleum is gonna be pretty slick for the pigs to walk on.

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
Of course. They know about the hazards of breeding and such. They also mentioned using fleece over the linoleum so it isn't so slick with bricks in the corner.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
It takes Rolo a whole 30 seconds to jump over the 10" playpen when she gets bored or Chris opens the fridge. We've had to guinea pig proof the whole room as well and make sure the door is blocked because Rolo is always missing from the pen. I would suggest at least 12" but preferably the 14" used for a cage. You could try finding the wire shelving and using that to block the door. I think a closed solid door wouldn't provide much ventilation even with a window and when you open the door there will be escapees. I fenced off the door way to the room they play in with grids so that they wouldn't sneak out or someone forget to close the door. Plus with a door closed you wouldn't be able to see the piggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.