Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Help pregnant piggy

Worriedpiggy

Cavy Gazer
We bought two pigs from a female only store, soon we had a pregnant piggy. About 45 days later she wasn’t very large and we went out to get our “female” friend his own cage per the vets recommendation. That took a few hours as we stocked up on treats and even some formula just in case. We came home to some interesting sounds and we had welcomed 3 new female (vet checked) family members. He got the boot and his own place in my sons room. She did amazing with her babies all great. We noticed she was heavy and as a mom I thought well three kids are hard and a pandemic she’s eating very well as we were told to offer lots of nutrition. Tonight I checked on her and we have moved from chubby to definitely pregnant. Knowing that she has had NO CONTACT with the male he must have gotten to her right after birth. My children are older and know the danger of her being pregnant. Our vet is not exotic but does have pig experience. Besides just saying a prayer is there anything we can do to help her? We are lucky to have some family that are ready for a new piggy or two (they lost theirs a few years ago.) Also is it safe to let her daughters remain in the cage with her? The cage is very large approximately 3x5 ft.
NOTE* this was not intentional and I am worried about her I’m just looking for some guidance until we can see our vet.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They can get pregnant within minutes of giving birth, as you've found out. So sorry!

The daughters are fine in the cage with her, any males need to be removed at 21 days of age.

She needs unlimited good quality pellets (KMS Hayloft and Oxbow and the only ones we recommend in the U.S.), good quality hay, veggies high in vitamin C,and a C supplement. She needs a extra calcium source, such as some alfalfa hay (not exclusively), or high calcium veggies. Back-to-back pregnancies are very hard on the sow and the second litter of pups, so you need to make sure her nutritional needs are met.

He can be neutered and go back in with her, but he needs to wait at least four weeks after neutering.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.