Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Help in Wisconsin

absolutgyrl

Cavy Slave
Hi Guys :)

I am looking for places to buy bales of Timothy Hay or bulk bedding ... I live in Verona (near Madison, Wisconsin) and so far have had no luck. Petsmart is useless & as close as I have come is Mounds but they don't sell bales of hay or anything and it makes the hay expensive.

Anyone know of anywhere? Like a farmer who sells bales or anything? I did find one lady who was willing to sell me an 800 pound roll of hay ROFL!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance for any help!
Dia

Cavyslavesteph

Cavy Slave
I was going to recommend Mounds, but I see you want to buy in bulk. Have you asked any store employees there? They may know of a local farmer. You could also see if you could put up a sign asking for it. Yeah, when I'm back in town I only buy from Mounds. Sorry I couldn't be more of a help.

absolutgyrl

Cavy Slave
Hey Steph -

Thanks. Yes I asked at Mounds and they told me that they did not know of any farmers who sell hay ... hmmmm .... not sure I buy that but who knows.

I began looking in the newspaper and I am going to see what I can track down. I may have found someone who sells a 50 pound bales of alfalfa and orchard grass mixed (which is fine now) but I will need to find straight timothy hay or hay without alfalfa when Stuff gets much older.

Thanks for your thoughts - D

C&K

Cavy Slave
Try calling some horse stables, they may either have hay they can sell you or be able to direct you to someone who does.

KM is not too far from you, her prices are pretty good too!

SandyF

Cavy Slave
I agree, you can probably get pretty decent shipping prices with Kleenmama to Wisconsin. You might also try (Reference removed by administrator). He has nice timothy as well.

I tried local hay a couple of years ago, and our boys turned up their noses at it. It was beautiful stuff...soft, green, aromatic. They wouldn't touch it, which was a shame because I could get 1/2 bale for something like $3. Go figure.

Last edited by a moderator:

kittnkarr

Cavy Slave
Absolute, I know exactly where you are coming from. I live on the other side of the State (Milwaukee side)and south in IL, not to far from the IL/WI border. When I first started reading your thread I thought of Mounds as well. The best thing to do is like someone else suggested is contacting some local horse stables. I know that there are quite a few in that area, but couldn't tell you any names for them.
I have a friend who has her own barn and horse and she is willing to give me some of her orchard grass/hay mix but the only problem is that last year was a bad year for hay around this area (both in WI and IL). So it may be tough to find a decent bale of hay that wouldn't be to stemy and actually be green and decent. No one knows as of yet what this years crop is going to produce, but most farmers won't know until around July. At least that is what I have been told.

Good Luck

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.