Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello fellow piggie lovers!

kellyevans

Cavy Gazer
Hi guys so I'm Kelly and I got my first two piggies about 3 weeks ago! I want them all! I have two brothers, Vinny (white) & George (dark)!

I overheard my parents talking about getting me another guinea pig but I am iffy and looking into it a little more before mentioning. So, I have two males, 3 months old. I did read up that they will hit the puberty stage soon. Vinny would be the more dominant one of the two as he is the one who used to bicker with George and George would just sit there. I have a two storey hutch inside a barna shed for them which they will soon have the run of half the barna when I get some safe and washable flooring down. They have more than enough room and I would of course LOVE a new addition. My two boys get on so so well, they sleep together and follow each other around. If I were to get another piggie it would have to be a submissive one for sure like George.

I pay for everything myself as I have a full time stable job and they are spoilt rotten. Ihave attached two images of the divils below.

Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 16.27.47.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Your boys are adorable! Welcome to the forum!

Just a word of caution. Boar trios almost NEVER work out. I myself have tried it, and also failed. Two works, sometimes four or more, but trios virtually never.

kellyevans

Cavy Gazer
Your boys are adorable! Welcome to the forum!

Just a word of caution. Boar trios almost NEVER work out. I myself have tried it, and also failed. Two works, sometimes four or more, but trios virtually never.

Oh I have space for 4, and I can seperate them if it doesn't work. So maybe I can try three and then if it doesn't work get the line guinea pig a friend?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I would avoid it altogether, to be perfectly honest. Guinea pig teeth are VERY sharp, and if they fight one or more can be seriously injured. We had a member lose a pig several weeks ago due to an introduction gone wrong and a bite that went very deep.

I say "if" they fight, but the reality is more like "when" they fight. And it happens so fast the damage is usually done before you can separate them. In my opinion, it just isn't worth the risk.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't do it. It's almost guaranteed that two of them, if not all three, won't get along, and you may wind up with three solo pigs, not two pair. Or two solos and a pair, if you get a fourth.

If you want more pigs and have room for another cage adequate for two, get two sows.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.