Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Heggies Hedgehog!

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Well, a mouse would be too stinky for me, rats creep my mom out, so hedgies! I have gone to the option that followed guinea pigs, hedgehogs! Why I didn't choose them st first, I don't know! If anyone has any information on hedgies it would be greatly appreciated! Hedgies are the second choice to guinea pigs, and I don't have room to expand my piggy cage to more than 4! I would have chosen a hedgehog over pigs, but I had pigs before and I wanted them again! Thanks everyone! :)

PrincessPiggy

Cavy Slave
Hedgies were also an option for us before we decided on guinea pigs. I don't remember all of the research I did, but I do remember that they need a HUGE cage-- even bigger than a piggy cage-- because hedgehogs can run several miles a night. They can have wheels, I believe (solid ones, not ones that they could get their toes caught in), so that helps with some of the running, but as with most critters, the bigger the cage, the better. :)
Hope that helps. :)

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Hedgies were also an option for us before we decided on guinea pigs. I don't remember all of the research I did, but I do remember that they need a HUGE cage-- even bigger than a piggy cage-- because hedgehogs can run several miles a night. They can have wheels, I believe (solid ones, not ones that they could get their toes caught in), so that helps with some of the running, but as with most critters, the bigger the cage, the better. :)
Hope that helps. :)

They actually don't need a huge cage. They will live perfectly in a 2x3 cage. A midwest cage would even be just suitable, but I will be making a 2x3 for my little spike ball.

AllThesePiggies

Cavy Slave
Aw, that's so cool! Hedgehogs are so cute. :eek: I don't know if you've been to this website or not, but I believe this is a good place to learn more about them! https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/

A couple of weeks back I thought I'd do some research on hedgies and came across that website. It's very helpful.
Sorry if you've already looked at it -- in that case, I am of no use whatsoever as I got all of my info from there anyway! Haha good luck! :)

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Aw, that's so cool! Hedgehogs are so cute. :eek: I don't know if you've been to this website or not, but I believe this is a good place to learn more about them! https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/

A couple of weeks back I thought I'd do some research on hedgies and came across that website. It's very helpful.
Sorry if you've already looked at it -- in that case, I am of no use whatsoever as I got all of my info from there anyway! Haha good luck! :)

Yes, I'm a member and everything! :D

AllThesePiggies

Cavy Slave
Yes, I'm a member and everything! :D

Well, I think you'd be all set then! :)
Though I am curious what others will say, as when I'm older I'd love to get a hedgie.

GreenConverse

Cavy Slave
That was my only option for a while (my mom thinks GPs look like rats????) she found a page on facebook and fell in love! I've heard they can be a bit uncooperative though :(

Liviebrew1

Cavy Slave
Aww I love those cute hedgie faces!!!! Post pics if you get one please.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Aww I love those cute hedgie faces!!!! Post pics if you get one please.

That a definite! I will post pics as soon as I get one. If I get one. :)

I've heard they can be a bit uncooperative though :(
They aren't uncooperative, just nocturnal. You can't change their schedule either because it messes up their system, and they don't like getting woken up during the day to be played with. They are quite loving, you just have to figure out their schedule is all.

chas25

Cavy Slave
I want a hedgehog but just don't feel like paying 125-200 for a single pet ya know? i check craigslist a lot though so maybe one day. right now im happy with my 2 piggies, puppy, and hermit crabs lol. maybe after we move out of an apartment my man and I will expand our family.

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
arrggg jelly, i wanted a hedgehog too! but it's actually illegal to have them here in Norway (according to the hubs at least) due to them being found in the wild. no animal found in the wild can be taken for a pet. :p

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.