Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Hay type

Beckysh

Cavy Slave
I am trying to find which hay is the best type and sub type. I know alfalfa is a no no, but what is the most commonly best used? I was thinking about getting the oxbow animal health western Timothy hay, I can get a 9 LB bag for $30. I would get the 25 LB but I don't have the space. Thank you in advance.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Any long strand grass hay will do. The most common is timothy. Other possibilities are meadow grass, bluegrass, orchard grass, and brome. Brome is generally pretty poor quality, and is not preferred for guinea pigs.

angiee

Cavy Slave
My pigs love Timothy. I've tried different brands and have stuck with Timothy. They go nuts.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Orchard grass and bluegrass are hits with pigs I've had.

Gussiepig

Cavy Slave
What brands should be avoided? I grew up on a farm and never paid these prices for hay for horses that are 1200lbs. But I want the best for my pigs.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Brands don't mean much when you're talking about hay. Hay is hay is hay, and any company that markets it in pet stores, Walmarts, Targets, etc, just buys hay from some farmer and packages it under their "brand."

What you want is a good quality long strand grass hay, like timothy, blue grass, meadow grass, or orchard grass. The absolute cheapest buy it is to find a local farmer and buy some. Even if you have a buy a bale and donate much of it, it's still the cheapest way.

If you don't have a local farmer, the next cheapest way to get get hay is to order in bulk online from some place like Small Pet Select, American Pet Diner, or KMS Hayloft. The more you buy, the cheaper it is per pound. And it's usually very good hay.

The most expensive, and poorest quality hay, is what you buy in bags at pet stores, Walmarts, etc. Just don't, if you don't have to.

Gussiepig

Cavy Slave
Thank you. This is great information! Think I'll reserve a part of the garden this spring for some grass hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.