Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Hay and Pellet Questions

GGuineaPigg

Cavy Slave
How much pellets should young cavies (under 6 months) get? I know adults get 1/8 cup per day, but is it different for babies? Also, bluegrass hay can be a substitute for timothy hay, right?

Bluegrass is another type of grass hay. You can feed any type of grass hay you want.

Some pigs prefer one over another though.

Pigs under 6 months should get unlimited alfalfa based pellets.

Okay, thanks. I thought it was unlimited pellets but I wasn't sure.

Are Kleenmama's pellets safe? I thought that grains, sweeteners, soy and pretty much anything that isn't hay/vegetables/fruit were very bad for guinea pigs. Whatever is underlined and in bold is what I'm worried about.

Here's the ingredient list for the Alfalfa Complete pellets:

Sun cured alfalfa, oats, wheat, soybean hulls, soy meal, Choline Chloride, stabilized Vitamin C, Vitamin A supplement,Vitamin E supplement, Manganese Oxide, Meniodine Bisulfate, dl-Methionine, Zinc Oxide, d-Calcium Pantothenate,Copper Sulfate, Niacin, d-Biotin supplement, Pyrideoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, Riboflavin, supplement, Cobalt Sulfate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, Calcium Iodate, Cane molasses.

Here is the ingredient list for the Timothy Choice pellets:

Timothy grass hay, oats, wheat, barley, soybean hulls, soy meal, Choline Chloride, stabilized Vitamin C, Vitamin A supplement,Vitamin E supplement, Manganese Oxide, Meniodine Bisulfate, dl-Methionine, Zinc Oxide, d-Calcium Pantothenate,Copper Sulfate, Niacin, d-Biotin supplement, Pyrideoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, Riboflavin supplement, Cobalt Sulfate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, Calcium Iodate, Cane molasses.

Kleenmama's are considered to the best pellets available on the market.

The molasses is the binder and the other ingredients you have bolded are fine. KM's pellets are the best you can get.

Thanks. I had heard her pellets were the best, but I just wanted to check.

I have heard KM pellets described as "piggie crack". That is exactly what they are! My pigs stampede the kitchen area when it is time to fill the pellet dishes. I have 3 pigs that are severely skittish and they will actually eat them out of my hand. It is hilarious. All the pigs trying to get the one pellet I am holding. I have been bitten more than once while doing this. :) I think it is the most expensive indulgence I give them.

Haha, aww, that sounds so cute. I hope my future guinea pigs like them as much as yours do.

Are Kleenmama's pellets safe? I thought that grains, sweeteners, soy and pretty much anything that isn't hay/vegetables/fruit were very bad for guinea pigs. Whatever is underlined and in bold is what I'm worried about.

Here's the ingredient list for the Alfalfa Complete pellets:

Sun cured alfalfa, oats, wheat, soybean hulls, soy meal, Choline Chloride, stabilized Vitamin C, Vitamin A supplement,Vitamin E supplement, Manganese Oxide, Meniodine Bisulfate, dl-Methionine, Zinc Oxide, d-Calcium Pantothenate,Copper Sulfate, Niacin, d-Biotin supplement, Pyrideoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, Riboflavin, supplement, Cobalt Sulfate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, Calcium Iodate, Cane molasses.

Here is the ingredient list for the Timothy Choice pellets:

Timothy grass hay, oats, wheat, barley, soybean hulls, soy meal, Choline Chloride, stabilized Vitamin C, Vitamin A supplement,Vitamin E supplement, Manganese Oxide, Meniodine Bisulfate, dl-Methionine, Zinc Oxide, d-Calcium Pantothenate,Copper Sulfate, Niacin, d-Biotin supplement, Pyrideoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, Riboflavin supplement, Cobalt Sulfate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, Calcium Iodate, Cane molasses.

Oats are okay to feed guinea pigs?

When used in animal foods they are somewhat ok but not ok to give pigs just oats.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.