Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Has Oxbow changed yet?

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Just wondering if Oxbow changed their calcium type yet? I thought I heard rumor they were.

miniver

Cavy Slave
Yes, they have but I'm sure there are still some old bags out there on stores shelves, so make sure it's the new packaging.

I'm running out of KMS and will need to order again in the next month or two. Any one with a stone pig try the Cavy Cuisine new formula? Anyone care to share their opinion? It would be much appreciated.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Yes, they have but I'm sure there are still some old bags out there on stores shelves, so make sure it's the new packaging.

I'm running out of KMS and will need to order again in the next month or two. Any one with a stone pig try the Cavy Cuisine new formula? Anyone care to share their opinion? It would be much appreciated.

That's where I'm at too. Thought I had more KMS downstairs but it turns out I don't. Was hoping I could go buy some oxbow if they changed the formula. Colonel Mustard is a stone pig.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Every bag of Oxbow I have seen has now been the new formula.

I'm also trying to figure out what I should do with pellets. In the next few weeks I'm going to need to order more, it's a bit cheaper to get Oxbow from amazon but I'm thinking it's worth it to spend the extra $50 to just get KMS. All the pigs like it and I do have Margaret, my stone pig that I'm worried won't do well with Oxbow.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There are still bags of the old formula out there. Just check the ingredients. The new one won't have calcium carbonate or limestone in it.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Excellent, thank you!

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Calling all super experienced piggy slaves!! Do you think Oxbow is now comparable to KMS pellets since the formula change?
My pigs are on KMS, but one of them does leave calcium spots on the fleece despite being on a strict low calcium diet. I know sometimes it's just genetic and what will be will be, but being practical, the oxbow pellets would be a lot cheaper than the KMS. It's not so much the cost of the pellets themselves from KMS, but the darn shipping charge. :eek:hmy:

Nannub

Cavy Slave
Calling all super experienced piggy slaves!! Do you think Oxbow is now comparable to KMS pellets since the formula change?
My pigs are on KMS, but one of them does leave calcium spots on the fleece despite being on a strict low calcium diet. I know sometimes it's just genetic and what will be will be, but being practical, the oxbow pellets would be a lot cheaper than the KMS. It's not so much the cost of the pellets themselves from KMS, but the darn shipping charge. :eek:hmy:

I wonder the same. I got the new Oxbow Cavy Cuisine pellets but from time to time I see some calcium spots on the fleece -not every day- So I'm actually wondering if I should change to KMS.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can get calcium spots even with KMS. You can even get bladder stones with KMS. But until the Oxbow change, it's been the only brand of pellets in the US that didn't use calcium carbonate (limestone) for the calcium source, and limestone has definitely been implicated in bladder stone formation.

Pigs always have some calcium suspended in their urine. The idea is that it's kept suspended and then peed out, but a bit of infection, or some other trigger, can start stone formation. Additionally, some pigs will form stones no matter how carefully you monitor the calcium in their diets, and other pigs will never get them no matter what they eat. I know one 7.5 year old pig who's been fed Oxbow, kale, romaine, cilantro, celery, spinach, and who knows what other high calcium veggies all his life. He's very sedentary, but has never had a bladder stone. Go figure.

Nannub

Cavy Slave

lisa325

Cavy Slave
@bpatters........Cheers for your reply, I might just finish the KMS pellets I have and give the new Cavy Cuisine another shot. My pigs will eat either one, so I'll just buy the smallest bag and see what happens.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just be sure to get the Oxbow that doesn't have calcium carbonate/limestone listed in the ingredients. The old stuff isn't all off the shelves yet.

CavyHouse

Cavy Slave
The new pellets have a new color scheme on their bags. It's no longer in the bright red packaging.

miniver

Cavy Slave
I tired the new Oxbow Adult Cavy Cuisine. My two sows were on Oxbow until this past January when I switched them to KMS. They have always loved their pellets, Oxbow and KMS alike. I feed them half in the morning and half in the evening. Both times I switched pellets I did it cold-turkey.

My stone pig, Mini, ate the whole bowl for the first day and a half. She hasn’t touched them since. My other sow, Rosie, wouldn’t touch them at all. She took one sniff and walked away. It’s been 4 ½ days and I switched them back to KMS this morning. Both sows devoured them. I mean, they didn’t move from the bowl until every last crumb was gone.

I had them on dark fleece and didn’t see any change in white spots in the cage for the day and a half that my stone pig ate the Oxbow. Not much of a test- run but a good sign.

I don’t know why they don’t like the new Oxbow. The pellets are smaller than KMS and I notice some are very long, even compared to the old Oxbow. Rosie didn’t even like the smell of them.

(Sigh…) So much for saving some money. I guess I’ll be placing an order for KMS.

Left to right – old Oxbow, new Oxbow, KMS
picture

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Oh man, that's not good news. I just ordered a 25 pound bag of the new Oxbow formula.

@miniver KMS may not be shipping to Canada right now. Last week I placed an order for 50lbs of pellets and a day later it was cancelled.

They emailed me to let me know they are currently having issues with the charge on delivery prices. The past 2 times I've ordered KMS the duty I owed was around $20. Apparently this time it would have been massive what would have been charged. I was told they were working on it but not 100% sure when it would be resolved by.

Let me know if your order goes through!

miniver

Cavy Slave
Pellets.jpg

I don't know why the picture didn't post the first time. Anyway...

Thanks for the info @sallyvh.

I have about a month's worth of KMS left. I'll give it another week and try ordering. Meanwhile, I think I'll try a gradual change. I'll give them a 50/50 Oxbox/KMS mix and see if that helps switch them over.
My last vet bill for a stone issue was $1,200. As long as the duties are less than that, it's still a bargin. :eek:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.