Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Guinea pigs pee is dark orange/red....already being treated for UTI

Amichalski

Cavy Gazer
Hello! I’m new and I’ve never posted here before so if I’m doing it wrong I’m SO sorry:/
my pig is about 4 years old (male) and never had any health problems and About a week ago I noticed his pee was a dark orange color. No, we did not change his diet at all. He eats and drinks normally. Not acting strange. I took him to the vet just to be safe. He’s being treated for a UTI and is on antibiotics. BUT his pee is still dark. I took sample today and it was yellow, I was so happy! But within minutes it quickly changed. I will show pictures. I read that it could be oxidation but that it was only common in younger pigs and my pig is 4. Any ideas???
05165943-43E6-4A7D-AC96-65D34CABFCF0.jpgAF7A0235-1E2E-43F6-897E-6FEF0D9FB12E.jpgAE40CF40-B69A-4926-A97F-EDA6E305D9E1.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's likely oxidation, and the antibiotic can also have that effect. I have a pig on antibiotics at the moment and his urine is roughly the same colour once it dries on his feeding blanket.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd bet on the antibiotics.

Amichalski

Cavy Gazer
Okay so the vet tested his pee and she said he’s okay and We should just lay off of the spinach and carrots for a bit. one more question though. I feel stupid for being to the vet twice in the past week so I don’t want to go again unless I know I should. BUT I noticed that my pig is scratching a lot. He will stop in the middle of eating to scratch and shake his fur and kinda jump as if to shake something off of him. I’ve been reading a lot about mites but my piggy has been alone for 3.5 years (we have been working on getting him a baby brother) So...he couldn’t have gotten it from another pig which is why I feel like he couldn’t have mites. I’m still concerned though because I don’t want him to be u comfortable and I of course want to make things better if something is wrong. Could it be a side effect of his antibiotics? Allergies? Any way I can treat him at home? am I over reacting?? ��

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.