Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing Guinea pigs are chewing on grids and eating paint

rolandinthehay

Cavy Slave
I recently had to separate my three boars (Roland and Ben from Charlie). I wanted to make sure they could still see each other, so I just separated them by 3 grids; however, they have started biting on the bars. At first it was just Charlie biting, but now Ben and Roland have started as well. It's gotten so bad that some of the paint is coming off and today I noticed Ben eating a piece of paint as if it were hay! I know that bar-chewing can be dangerous for their teeth (breaking), but I was wondering if the paint will hurt them?

I'm trying to scrape off as much paint as possible so they can't eat any more of it. I have also tried rubbing bitter apple spray and vinegar on the bars to deter them from chewing, but both only work for a limited amount of time.

It's also strange because the separator is baby-proofed with double grids, and they only chew on the side that is closest to Charlie! The side that is in their cage is completely normal - no missing paint or bite marks.

Any suggestions?

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
I remember a thread not to long ago that had an idea that worked for bar chewing

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I've heard of people using a vinegar solution before but have never tried it. A few of my boys like to do this and it drives me crazy! In the past I just made the coro walls higher- this is a for sure way of fixing the problem- but doesn't allow for seeing other pigs.

rolandinthehay

Cavy Slave
I've heard of people using a vinegar solution before but have never tried it. A few of my boys like to do this and it drives me crazy! In the past I just made the coro walls higher- this is a for sure way of fixing the problem- but doesn't allow for seeing other pigs.

Yeah, I really don't want to add coroplast. I'd feel awful if poor Charlie had to live alone. I tried wrapping those Oxbow hay twists around the bars to encourage them to bite those instead of the bars, but it's only worked a little. In order to stop it completely, I have to put so much that they can't see each other and it acts the same way a coroplast then.

Have your piggies ever been sick from eating the paint?

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I really don't want to add coroplast. I'd feel awful if poor Charlie had to live alone. I tried wrapping those Oxbow hay twists around the bars to encourage them to bite those instead of the bars, but it's only worked a little. In order to stop it completely, I have to put so much that they can't see each other and it acts the same way a coroplast then.

Have your piggies ever been sick from eating the paint?

I wouldn't add anything like a chew or treat and wrap it around the grids. This will encourage chewing on the grids, in my opinion.
My boys haven't been sick or ill from chewing on the grids and eating the paint. It is a small amount so I am not too worried. The main issue with them chewing on the metal grids is breaking a tooth.

Try the vinegar- it's worth a try! :)

rolandinthehay

Cavy Slave
I have tried vinegar. It didn't work. I guess I could try again.

I tried the treats because someone else said this helped when their pigs had a similar problem.

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
Instead of grids you could use plexiglass as a divider. They can still see eachother, but there would be nothing to chew.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
@SardonicSmile, has a great idea! I've seen this before and have heard great things about it! :) It slipped my mind!

rolandinthehay

Cavy Slave
Instead of grids you could use plexiglass as a divider. They can still see eachother, but there would be nothing to chew.

That is a great idea. It wouldn't be bad for air flow as long as the rest of the sides are open grids, right?

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
That is a great idea. It wouldn't be bad for air flow as long as the rest of the sides are open grids, right?

It should be fine- since it will only be on one or two sides max. I once did high coro walls on all 4 sides of a cage and they were fine. The top was open so they still had more than enough air flow.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.