Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Costs Guinea Pig Vet Prices

Angelic143

Cavy Slave
How much are check ups for guinea pigs and if you have 2 does it count each? What the most expensive visit you've had paid for? How many pigs do you have? How do I lower the risk of sickness? What are common sicknesses? Thanks for Reading! <3

mecole

Cavy Slave
My exotics vet is $69 for a medical exam, and $49 for medical progress (a follow up exam on a pig that's being treated). Any prescribed medicines are an additional cost on top of the exam. Though I haven't paid more than $200 at one time, my current journey treating one of my pig's respiratory infections has reached over $1,000 in vet bills over time. This is why it is absolutely necessary that as a guinea pig owner, you are prepared financially to afford vet bills if the need arises. I'm not particularly knowledgeable on common illnesses other than URI's, so hopefully someone else can answer your health questions.

PandaPiggle

Cavy Slave
@mecole and I have the same vet, so prices are identical... Some vets will offer a small multi-pig discount, but I don't think ours does. I've got five pigs, but only one has needed to see the veterinarian yet. First Agnes had a trichofolliculoma that needed diagnosing to make sure it wasn't more nefarious, and the a week later she had a corneal ulcer, which all told was about $260 with three vet visits and two antibiotics plus a probiotic. She was also diagnosed with an abdominal mass, and we could have tried surgery for $900-$1300, but there wasn't much hope so I decided to let her live out the rest of her life with her friends, and she passed June 29th. Everyone else will go to the vet immediately if I see signs of illness, but nobody else has been ill yet (knock on wood!).

The best way to catch illness early, so it's easier to treat, is weighing regularly with a kitchen scale. If your scale doesn't have a weigh-bowl integrated, loaf pans are amazing containers for weighing piggies because it's pig shaped and flat so they stand still. One ounce fluctuation is normal, two go on alert, three go on red alert, four plus get to a vet immediately. Common illnesses include mites, upper respiratory infections, urinary tract infections and stones, and lots of other stuff... GuineaLynx is a great website to learn about medical stuff with guinea pigs, so here's a link: https://www.guinealynx.info/medical_guide.html

Rocky5

Cavy Slave
Same as @PandaPiggle and @mecole mine was $46.70 for 1 pain and medication and an ointment for Gib's eye.

pinky

Cavy Slave
It varies by location and the difference can be pretty significant. I use two different vets that are near one another and there's a $30 difference in their office visit fees. I'd call around to see what the exotic vets in your area charge and research them so you'll be prepared when you need one. I'd also make sure you have a vet fund set up so you have money to cover vet costs.

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
I have two different vet clinics that I go to (I rotate when one of them doesn't have an opening soon enough). One of them charges $60 for a visit but charges quite a bit for medication. The other charges $75 for an appointment and has cheaper medication so the two places end up being about the same price.
Yesterday I had a $45 follow-up appointment for my guinea pig's ear infection/eye ulcer and it was a total of $120 for two antibiotics, one container of eye drops, and the appointment cost.

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My vets all cost around $60-$70 per pig for an exotic visit- just checkup no medication or treatment. I have spent thousands on treatments all told- one of my boars had an eye removal cost $1200 for surgery, medicine, and 4 days at the vet and that same pig had surgery for bladder stones which was about $500 all said and done and gets recurring inspections at the site the eye was removed- medication combos total $90 which I need to purchase every 3-6 months.

He's an expensive little guy!

TandZpiggies

Cavy Slave
A check up at my vet is $59. I brought in both my pigs a couple weeks ago and they gave me a $5 discount because I had more than one animal. Then I had to go back and have their back molars trimmed and that cost me almost $200 per pig. I had to bring them back today for their follow up appointment, and that was free.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
My vet is $49 for a visit, no meds and a my boar's neuter was $251.80. It really all depends on where you live.

Angelic143

Cavy Slave
Do you guys live in a city? I live in the middle of no where kinda

Last edited:

Agrimony

Cavy Slave
I live in the Hudson Valley now and previous vets were north of Syracuse and the other was Cornell in Ithaca- so a few diffrerent places in New York Sate but not any cities

TandZpiggies

Cavy Slave
I live in the Hudson Valley now and previous vets were north of Syracuse and the other was Cornell in Ithaca- so a few diffrerent places in New York Sate but not any cities
I live in Syracuse! Well, in the suburbs outside of Syracuse but close enough. It's nice to see a fellow upstate New Yorker on here.

kairi26

Cavy Slave
Overall, my vet is pretty reasonably priced. $40 for the visit and about $20 for antibiotics (we were treating a very minor URI).

The thing that got me was the nail trim. They offered it at the end without quoting me a price, and it added another $15 to my bill. I know it's not that crazy, but I've gotten cheaper manicures, and that included massage and nail polish!

I do my own pig nail trims now.

Agrimony

Cavy Slave
Oh nice!! I grew up in Oswego county (Phoenix/Mexico area) and lived for a few years in Baldwinsville, just moved away last year. I miss it up there, the Syracuse area is beautiful and fun!

TandZpiggies

Cavy Slave
Oh nice!! I grew up in Oswego county (Phoenix/Mexico area) and lived for a few years in Baldwinsville, just moved away last year. I miss it up there, the Syracuse area is beautiful and fun!
Nice! I like it here too, I've lived here my whole life. However, I can't stand all the snow we get haha. I don't mind a little bit of snow, but we get way too much.

PiggyMamaInNC

Cavy Slave
I am in the southern US. Suburban area. Our vet has around 5 Drs total, with two who see exotic pets. We recently brought our new adoptees in for a check up and nail trim. Fee for each piggy was $44 for the check up, and $9.60 each for a nail trim. Which I have heard is pretty cheap. Some vets charge as much as $20 for nail trims!

Katie Vetter

Cavy Slave
I have two different vets that are within a fair driving distance of me. They both have their ups and downs, and are both experienced in different parts of guinea pigs. For instance, only one of them is certified to do xrays on pigs, and the other is cheaper with surgeries. One is better for URIs and the other excells at dental work. So it just really depends on the circumstance. But speaking of nail trimmings, only one of the vets does it and it costs almost 25 dollars to have it done, per guinea pig. Needless to say, I do my piggies nails on my own. No way am I paying $150+ per month just for nail trimming.

GiuneaPigLover

Cavy Slave
It costs $50 to be seen meds not included. I have 7 piggies. $350 is the most I have spent to get them all check ups.

piggielife

Cavy Slave
I'm in NC, my vet charges $48 for exam fee, that doesn't include any meds or further treatments. Nail trims are included with exam fee, but separate is $18.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.