Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Guinea Pig Pellet

j098765b

Cavy Slave
Hello All,

Guinea Pig PelletI'm a recently new parent to two very handsome male guinea pigs. I am wondering about pellets. I've dne my research and I knw that Kleemamas and Oxbow are th choice, but I'm wondering what other guinea pig pellets (sold at petco/petsmart) are suitable. Paying fo Kleenmamas or Oxbow are no issue, but I frequent petco, and enjoy the 5$ back for ever 100 spent. I feed my cats the arge bag off Wellness Core, and buy various other things for my animals there, so I do spend a fair amount of money at there. Basically, is Carefresh Complete close to great? What about Healthy Select Natural? They are young, so I need alfalfa based pellets now. It's much more convinient for me to go to a store and purchase the pellet as need than having to have it shipped/order online. So aside from Oxbow and Kleenmama, what else is suitable? I've been seeing that these are the ONLY things that should be fed, being an animal sciene major, I find that hard to believe that all others are junk. Thanks! Any other tips/tricks appriciated.<BR><BR>Also, how do you spoil your pigs? Food and NON food wise. Thanks.

Last edited:
Never buy a pellet with anything other than just pellets in it. No seeds, nuts, or chewy bits, etc in the food. That being said, carefresh is a terrible choice. Not sure about the other brand you mentioned. But if I remember correctly with this one, basically you don't want anything with like ground corn, ground potato, etc as those are fillers. You want it to be made of Timothy Grass Meal, or Alfalfa Meal as the main (first) ingredient.

Okay! I'm thinking I should just get the best for my lil guys. Kleenmamas it is! But seriously, I want to know what other brands besides KM and Oxbow are sufficient, bc I've found nothing about other good brands for raising and keeping healthy GPs

Last edited:
Sweet Meadow is another good brand. They are comparable to Oxbow.
(broken link removed)

Decisions Decisions...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.