Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Guinea Pig hit her head on the dresser after squirming out of my hands

insanegoldie2

Cavy Slave
I was cleaning my guinea cages out the other day and had set my orange pumpkin Charlette on the chair. She sat there patiently while I cleaned her cage and squeaked for hay. As I picked her up to set her back in the clean, comfortable cage, she started squirming. Naturally, I tightened my grip just a little(gently squeezing the ribs, not enough to hurt her but to get a secure grip) but she got out, jumped, hit her head on the dresser going down and landed on her feet. She sat there as I picked her up again to check her over. She seemed fine, if not a little dazed, so I set her back in her cage and checked on her every so often. She ate her hay like the greedy little piggy she is and ate her pellot dinner. She slept.

I'm only concerned because she started chattering at me for no reason, which she never does. She did this several times before going to bed for the night. She hasn't done it since and when I woke up this morning for school and fed her breakfast she did a cute little stretch and yawn. SUUPPPER cute.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She's likely OK. But you should never leave a pig alone on an elevated area. Their eyes are on the sides of their heads, and they have no depth perception. Three inches, three feet, it all looks the same to them.

It's also best to hold them with their back against your chest, one hand underneat and one hand holding their body against you.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
I agree with Bpatters, she's probably fine. Just keep an eye and her and see if she continues chattering or acting out of the ordinary. She may have just been excited to be back in a clean cage!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.