Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Guinea pig acting funny - Loud wheeking and wobbly

mercurybubbles8

Cavy Slave
My poor Snowy was battling a URI. We had to change medications around a few times because she kept having bad reactions to them. As of a few days ago, it looked like we were in the clear and she was eating well again.

All of of a sudden today, she started wheeking like crazy, which is normally something she doesn't do. She ate breakfast with no issues this morning. Now as I look at her, she's acting weird - it looks like she's wobbling around, she keeps going for sprints where she runs real fast (almost straight off my lap a few times), and when I tried to get her to eat her favorite Oxbow treat, she didn't look interested. I also tried some critical care, and gave it to her and she didn't really chew at it. She also keeps wanting to lean on things and go hide in corners and now is completely silent. I'm working on calling the vet, but from reading other posts think it may be her time. Any advice?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It could be something neurological, or it could be that whatever antibiotic she's been getting for her URI isn't effective against the infection which may have settled in her ear. Getting her to the vet is the best thing to do.

If she still has the URI, you might suggest to the vet that he try a nebulized antibiotic. They can tolerate much stronger antibiotics that way, since they aren't as destructive to the digestive tract.

How old is she?

mercurybubbles8

Cavy Slave
She's 4 years old. She was cleared of URI mid last week and has had no symptoms since.

It also looks like her midsection has expanded quickly in the last few hours and she can't keep herself upright.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The midsection being larger may mean she's bloated, and that's full-out medical emergency. She needs to see a good exotic vet ASAP. I wouldn't call to ask for an appointment, I'd call to say that I was coming, and had an emergency that needed to be seen.

Four isn't old for a guinea pig. Most make it to six or so, and many make it much longer than that.

mercurybubbles8

Cavy Slave
I tried getting her to the vet, but she unfortunately passed. She was only four and seemed to be clear last week, even this morning. I don't know if there was something else or it was just her time.

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
Oh I'm sorry to hear that! I had a piggy similar to that (no URI) who was just not herself in the days before she passed. The vets had a thorough look at her but couldn't see any cause for her being more talkative and outgoing.
Poor Snowy :'(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry you lost her.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.