Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Great News!

CavyyBabyy

Cavy Slave
The lady at the pet store said that one of their guinea pigs had babies! I am thinking about getting to new babies in a few weeks.
How long do you have to wait for babies to be ready to get away from their mom?
Thanxlol

Please consider adopting a pig instead of getting from a petstore.
For ever single pig that is bought from a petstore, one in a kill shelter loses its life. Realise that this is a pro rescue forum and many of us strongly discourage getting pigs from petstores and breeders. To answer your question most babies leave mom at around 6 to 8 weeks old. But if it is getting a young pig you're worried about they have many babies in shelters too.

oh my.
really? i did NOT know that. I wont get one froma store then.
Im sorry!

Good, it is fine. Everyone has mistakes.
But to get a pig from a pet store is one of the biggest you can make in cavy husbandry because many guinea's from pet stores have mites and are ill. It is terrible. People who visit pet stores may think everything looks nice but you don't see in the back rooms and behind the scenes. Glad your making the right choice by not getting a pig from a pet store. :)

I'm so glad you posted here first. So many buy from a petstore before knowing better and then regret it. Pet stores missex piggies, and many people have gotten pregnant piggies from pet stores too! Piggies from pet stores are often very sick.

Pet stores buy from breeders and breeders keep their "stock" in horrible conditions. They only care about making money.

MommyofOne has given you excellent advice and I'm glad you are going to adopt rather than buy!!!

If you post your general area (not your exact location) there are people on here who can help you find piggies to adopt in your area. You will be able to find very young piggies if that's what you want. You just have to be a little patient.

Male guinea pig babies are separated from their mothers and other females at 3 weeks of age. Female babies are usually left with their mothers until at least 4 weeks old. You would have to check with the rescue/shelter you end up adopting from if they are babies to find out their policy on what age you can take a female. But males definitely need to be separated by 3 weeks old because they can impregnate females as early as that age.

Good luck finding your perfect pair of piggies!

thank you so much!
I am wanting to get two females BEFORE christmas.
But i guess i can wait.
The pet store i was wanting to get them from just had babies so they MAY be is good condition...but i am not getting them from there!
thanks again for the advice!

Depending on where you live, you might not have any problem whatsoever getting a pair of pigs before Christmas. There are guinea pig rescues, your local animal shelter, newspaper ads, Craigslist and Freecycle (if you are in the US).

I once had no clue that guinea pigs were available in places other than petstores, but now it seems there are piggies available everywhere I look!

Where about are you located?

I'm glad you posted here first as well. Most likely the mom of the baby is not in good condition and the babies will most likely have problems or develop problems later on. You are doing the pigs a good favor by adopting! The babies may have been cute but adopting a pig that is likely to be euthanized when the shelter runs out of room would make you feel a lot better I'm sure. My one girl died of a URI she got from a pet store. Even buying products from a pet store is supporting them and the purchase of the animals from breeders. The best way to go is by buying from a pet store that doesn't sell animals.

I too am glad you posted here first and I'm happy that your going to adopt one. Here are some links and please read through them if you have the time they explain a lot about breeders and petstores. Oh yes petfinder is a great way to find pigs in rescues near you I'll throw in that link to. I'll also give you a link to this page it's great for finding a cavy savy vet. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Ps. When you get your piggers pigtures are a must :).

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/kitchen/19454-so-called-responsible-breeder.html
https://www.cavyspirit.com/petstores.htm
Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten.

We have a mom and pop pet store not far from my home. The manager stated that they often "rescue" pigs that people no longer want. They sell the best supplies Oxbow hay and Cavy Cuisine which is why I go there. Last time that I was there they had 3 or 4 adult female pigs in an open large cage. They were very skittish and needed their nails clipped. I clipped them while the manager help the pigs. Would you all be opposed from getting pigs from a pet store in this instance? I don't think they sell guinea pigs from breeders, not 100% certain but close.

Well, I would but its would be kind of hard to do.
I live in Florida :D

Well, I would but its would be kind of hard to do.
I live in Florida :D

Huh I'm a bit confused sorry for being thick but what do you mean? Are you talking to me or Rexie?

I'm glad you are going to adopt instead of buy from a petstore. It help the population and true care and dedication.

I'm really glad you posted here before getting your pig - I'll bet you are as well! I'm one of those offenders who bought at a petstore - on an impulse - with a pet store cage. Gah. Wish I had known better. I feel silly for *not* knowing better really. I lucked out and my piggie was healthy and not pregnant - not all are that lucky.

There is such a wealth of knowledge here - if you have any questions do ask. The C&C cages are great - and if you haven't read anything on fleece bedding yet - hop over to the bedding forums and check that out - it's great!

To answer your question most babies leave mom at around 6 to 8 weeks old.

It is actually 3 weeks. Boys MUST be separated from the mom and sisters at 21 days (3 weeks) since that is the earliest reproductive age for males. Guinealynx also says that the earliest reproductive age for females is 4 weeks.

Taken from guinealinx:

I am so mad!!!There are no adoption places in the Wyoming!I am so angry!

Ah.
Well, I got my answer from yahoo answers.
Not suprised it was wrong. I will make sure my answers are right next time for sure and double check with reliable resources. Rexie, most of us don't support any pet stores no matter the circumstances. All they do is help the population problem get worse.

CavySlave255 even if there are no rescues near you, you can always find guinea pigs to adopt. You can look online, ask local vets if they know of anyone rehoming their guinea pigs, post bulletins in grocery stores, etc. If there are petstores selling guinea pigs in your area, I guarantee there are plenty of people who are trying to dump their piggies now that they are tired of them.

You also might find a rescue further away that would be willing to meet you half way - or others who might be willing to help transport. Where there is a will, there is a way!

There aren't any in the whole state? Did you check your local animal shelters or SPCAs. They usually get small animals in on top of dogs and cats.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.