Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Great News!!!

John - I moved your post to the mod forum in preperation for it becoming a sticky. I will try to get it back into this thread but even I am trying to figure out the new system and haven't got it down pat yet.

John4216 said:
The ordinance banning lvies pets as a prize has been reviewed and recommended for passage (which where I live means it will pass) and will be officially passed on March 7th. Here is a copy of part of the ordinance and they did not change it from the way I wrote it for them:

505.19 LIVE ANIMALS AS PRIZES PROHIBITED

a) No person shall bive away or offer to give away as a prize, or exchange or offer to exchange for nominal consideration, any live animal other than pure bred livestock or fish in any game, drawing, contest, sweepstakes or other promotion, except where any live animal is given away by individuals or organizations operating in conjunction with a cooperative extension education program or agricultural vocational program sanctioned by the State Education or State Agricultural Departments.

b) For purposes of this section, "livestock" shall mean any domesticated sheep, goat, horse, cattle, turkey, chicken, or swine.

c) A violation of this section shall constitute a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.

I asked the Council to pass this because of abuse occuring at the local street fair we have every year...this thread explains what was going on for any interested:

https://guineapigcages.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10767

Anyway, I am very happy they finally passed it. The only concession I made was the leaving the goldfish excluded. But rather than be greedy and go for everything at once, I agreed and now we have this law and in the future I can get it improved even more hopefully.

And lastly, thanks to everyone here that wrote e-mails and letters in support of this. Because of all your efforts City Council and the Mayor were convinced to enact this ordinance. Thank you all, I can not begin to tell you how much I appreciate your help.

Thank heaven for that John! Those people giving away goldfish in small jars at carnivals was driving me crazy!:weepy:

Thanks VJ, I am glad to do whatever little bit I can.

John
Your post was moved here (broken link removed)

T created a brand new part of the forum in the Kitchen called Making a Differance. Your post is the first in there.

Ok thank you both then :) Happy to help in whatever way I can.

Edit:

Is there anyway you guys can edit that also? I noticed this line near the end:

You can always feel free to contactdifference to me as well if you have some specific questions also.

That needs fixing if you possibly can...thanks

Is there anyway you guys can edit that also? I noticed this line near the end:

You can always feel free to contactdifference to me as well if you have some specific questions also.

That needs fixing if you possibly can...thanks
Yup, we'll take care of that.

I just wanted to add my congradulations to the heaps you have already recieved. It really was an amazing thing to watch, and truely demonstrative of how speaking up really does work.

Cavies-and-Kids said:
I just wanted to add my congradulations to the heaps you have already recieved. It really was an amazing thing to watch, and truely demonstrative of how speaking up really does work.

Thank you for you kind words and support. I hope to try to see if I can make it a State Law maybe sometime in the future. That one will take a bit more effort I think, but if I can get it passed it is more than worth it.

Really John, you have made more of a difference then perhaps you can even realize. I for one am ready now after watching your success to spring into action and take on a few petstores myself. (We don't have the same live animals at fairs problem). I know it won't be an immediate thing, but I am sure if even just a few of us start chipping away at the problem, we will make some progress. Perhaps we can get a snail mail letter writting campaign going on, where we can send in mass emails to certain places, like HQ for Petnotsosmart and other pet selling chains.

Cavies-and-Kids said:
Really John, you have made more of a difference then perhaps you can even realize. I for one am ready now after watching your success to spring into action and take on a few petstores myself. (We don't have the same live animals at fairs problem). I know it won't be an immediate thing, but I am sure if even just a few of us start chipping away at the problem, we will make some progress. Perhaps we can get a snail mail letter writting campaign going on, where we can send in mass emails to certain places, like HQ for Petnotsosmart and other pet selling chains.

I know I would personally love to flood Petland with e-mails and possible protests outside their stores over their treatment of small animals.

What gets me about many of these chains is that they put out ads saying how they care about pets and have special programs but that usually means only cats/dogs and then they still often by from puppy mills for them.

I know exactly what you mean, PetnotsoSmart loves to drive home their adoption program but I have yet to see a rabbit or Guinea Pig in it... right now we have 16 homeless rabbits and Guinea Pigs in Hamilton, not one bun, pig or even just a listing at a PS adoption facility... Petland creeps me out, I think out of all the chains, they are borderline evil. I have just drafted a letter I am sending to a Paulmacs, and looking for input, I am going to start a seperate thread for it though... It is a little rough and maybe to long right now, need input desperately. I would love to see a law passed similar to the California one regarding the distributing of careguides in petshops that do sell animals.

I would love to see that passed as well. I had asked *cough* one of the admins here long ago if they could send me a copy of California's law but I think they forgot about it. Because if I could get a copy I would certainly try to get some movement started here in Ohio.

I want it too, perhaps Teresa could post this law to the making a difference forum along with the steps in how it all happened, as I believe she was involved in the lobbying. (Sorry if I am mistaken :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.