Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Great News!!!

John4216

Cavy Slave
The ordinance banning lvies pets as a prize has been reviewed and recommended for passage (which where I live means it will pass) and will be officially passed on March 7th. Here is a copy of part of the ordinance and they did not change it from the way I wrote it for them:

505.19 LIVE ANIMALS AS PRIZES PROHIBITED

a) No person shall bive away or offer to give away as a prize, or exchange or offer to exchange for nominal consideration, any live animal other than pure bred livestock or fish in any game, drawing, contest, sweepstakes or other promotion, except where any live animal is given away by individuals or organizations operating in conjunction with a cooperative extension education program or agricultural vocational program sanctioned by the State Education or State Agricultural Departments.

b) For purposes of this section, "livestock" shall mean any domesticated sheep, goat, horse, cattle, turkey, chicken, or swine.

c) A violation of this section shall constitute a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.

I asked the Council to pass this because of abuse occuring at the local street fair we have every year...this thread explains what was going on for any interested:

https://guineapigcages.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10767

Anyway, I am very happy they finally passed it. The only concession I made was the leaving the goldfish excluded. But rather than be greedy and go for everything at once, I agreed and now we have this law and in the future I can get it improved even more hopefully.

And lastly, thanks to everyone here that wrote e-mails and letters in support of this. Because of all your efforts City Council and the Mayor were convinced to enact this ordinance. Thank you all, I can not begin to tell you how much I appreciate your help.

505.19 LIVE ANIMALS AS PRIZES PROHIBITED

a)any live animal other than pure bred livestock or fish in any game, drawing, contest.

I applaud your effort but wouldn't the wording - "other than" basically null and void the effort ? ? I take this to mean they still can use purebred rabbits, guinea pigs, etc etc ... as prizes.
Sounds to me by the wording all one would have to do is have the proper permits and waa laa - animals are being used as prizes.

Am I missing something ? ? it seems to me that its not "prohibited" as prohibited would mean under no circumsances could animals be used as prizes and with the way this is worded its full of loop holes.

Yep you missed it :) This part here:

b) For purposes of this section, "livestock" shall mean any domesticated sheep, goat, horse, cattle, turkey, chicken, or swine.

The line "other than purebred livestock" is covered by section B. So it means that ONLY sheep, goats, horses, cattle, turkey, chickens, or swine fit there.

So, they can still give sheep, goats, horses, cattle, turkey, chickens, and swine as prizes?

Not really :) What it means is that programs like the 4H auction at the County fair where they "auction" or give away the animals are not touched by this ordinance. Programs have to be "operating in conjunction with a cooperative extension education program or agricultural vocational program sanctioned by the State Education or State Agricultural Departments" to give away animals.

Basially this stopped the street vendors from using the bunnies, iguanna's and turtles (and other animals) as prizes for their games. Its not perfect but for a farming community in the midwest its a good step in the right direction.

Plus the "livestock" animals are governed by other State and Local laws regarding them so this was not able to impede on those laws.

We have never had the problem with people giving away "livestock" outside of the County Fair so that really was not an issue as the vendors can not afford to give away such animals for a ball toss game or such. Basically the ordinance mirrors New York State's animal law almost word for word.

Last edited:
That's really excellent. I know I sound like a mom, but I'm sooooo proud of you!! Whoohooooooo!

Thank you for Clearing that up, Kudos to you John

Thank you for the kind words :)

Good job John! Like T I'm so PROUD of you! You made a differance for countless animals.

I hate to ask you to do more work after the long road you just traveled but if you find the time I would love to see a step by step of the process to make such a law change occur. It could be very useful as a guide for others.

Most people see that sort of change as an insurmountable obstacle and would be afraid to take on such a challenge. A step by step guide may give others the courage to try.

If you do it also include helpful hints or personal experiances you had.

GO JOHN! In middle school, I used to volunteer each yr to run some of the kiddie games at our town's small carnival to help the hospital programs. (This was before it entered my mind that people might not take good care of their pets. Sheltered life!) We had this cage of baby bunnies that were the special prize for tossing a ball into a colored bowl. (Clear bowl gets a gold fish.) Anyway, I just about had a fit that the one man was trying to win a bunny to feed to his snake. I went running over to the manager of the kiddie games who very bluntly told me that it's none of my business what he chooses to do with his rabbit and that if he wins one, I had to give it to him. I think that was the last minute I ever volunteered for them. (BTW, the man didn't win anything but goldfish and he thankfully didn't want them.)
Anyway, That's great John. We are also a farming community and animals are a big part of our county fair. They sell guinea pigs there. That's actually how I got my Mavis. Her "owner" never came back for her because she came in second place. When it was closing time and she was still there, I asked what they were going to do with her and the guy said, "Well, I'm not taking her home, that's for sure." I scooped her up and left. I'll probably go back this fall and make sure the same thing doesn't happen again. Anyone willing to take Chickens, ducks, etc?

Great start, but I think fish should have been included. I hate seeing fish given away.

Lorry thats so sad - but how lucky that you were there for poor Mavis!

Pigglewigs--I am glad to be there for her too. I am holding her now and she is such a sweet little piggie. I think she lucked out in the deal because she now she has friends and a big home where with the other person, if they had taken her she would probably have been bred and I know she wasn't used to anything but pellets because she had to have the other pigs show her to eat veggies and hay. She was not well socialized either but now she is happy here and loves her some parsley--fat little piggy!:D (A side note--I can't believe she came in second, not that I know anything about showing. I just look at her and she's gorgeous! She is a red teddy with a white patch on either side and black ears. She looks and feels like a wooly mammoth caterpillar, for those of you who know what they are! So cute, wish my camera worked.)

Congrats John! The animals say thanks!

Congratulations! (i have fudge on my knee and it took ages to spell that!) Really glad you got it all sorted out! Its a real testiment to how one person can do so much if only you put your mind to it!

Thank you John for caring so much! This is really great news!

VoodooJoint said:
I hate to ask you to do more work after the long road you just traveled but if you find the time I would love to see a step by step of the process to make such a law change occur. It could be very useful as a guide for others.

Most people see that sort of change as an insurmountable obstacle and would be afraid to take on such a challenge. A step by step guide may give others the courage to try.

If you do it also include helpful hints or personal experiances you had.

No problem, I'll try to put something together next week and send it to you in a PM for you to review.

John, I am very proud of you for helping those poor little animals. (We all sounds like moms LOL). We need more people like you that have the detirmination to changes things like this. We're lucky, the worst I ever saw go for prizes here are gold fish. That still isn't good but at least the average person can afford to look after a gold fish. Hurray for John!

John, That's fabulous. Thank you so much for all your hard work. We appreciate it and I know those animals do too. "For he's a jolly good fellow...."

John - Thank you! I haven't given it a really good read yet but it looks great. I think it's exactly what I was looking for.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.