Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

:'( Good Pet Store Shutting Down

oologahyoko

Cavy Slave
There's this lady I know who has a TINY pet store. I always bought stuff from her. She had really good pet supplies. She has GP, hamsters, rats and mice and sometimes fish. All of her pets were throwaways by other petstores. They were the pets that were going to be put to sleep or were sick and the pet stores didn't want to pay for vets. They gave them to her a lot of the time and told her she was dumb for wanting the ones she picked. S

She'd take each of them to the vet and get them all cared for. When they were healthy *she'd get a vet's OK* she'd put them up for 'sale'
But when someone went to buy one they found out they had to go through a lot more than just hand over money and recieve a pet. She'd tell them about the animal they wanted to buy, what they needed, everything. Then she would have them bring up a cage or whatever the animal would be staying in so she could make sure it was nice and big. Sometimes she'd even go and visit the homes to make sure the situation there would be OK for a pet. She'd have them show her what kind of food they would feed the pet, and what supplies they had if any already purchased. If it was a fish she'd have them bring up a sample of the water the fish would be going into.

I saw her turn down a ton of people because she didn't think their situation would be good for any of the pets she had.

Occasionally someone would show up because their pet had babies. So she'd take care of them, get the vets ok and then find families for them. Then any of the money she got from that, she used to have the parents of the babies fixed for the owners, no charge to them.

She gave me my first job and I was in charge of hamsters with a couple of other girls. Our job was to clean out the cages. But the most important part of our job was we were suppose to spend a ton of time with each animal so it got human contact and exercise. We could give them treats and play with them.

But I went to visit this last week and found out she was shutting down because she couldn't make ends meet any more. She got all of her money from the pet supplies but wasn't making enough money any more. I'm so sad because this was a great store run by someone who really cared about the animals :'(
Sorry for such a long post just sad it's shutting down

Sweetywheety

Cavy Slave
awwwwww :( That's VERY sad. I'm sorry, she sounds like a nice person.

oologahyoko

Cavy Slave
:'( She said that she wasn't selling enough supplies to break even. We had a bigger pet store ope a couple weeks ago and a Petsmart just opened last week in our town.

C&K

Cavy Slave
That is very sad. Sounds like your town is not going to know what it is missing until it is too late.
She sounds like a real angel.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.