Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Going Vegetarian, I need help please!

piggyluv

Cavy Slave
I am going vegetarian, and I have some questions:

How do I tell my parents? I still live with them, and what if they tell me I can't be a vegetarian? I have my moral reasons and will explain them, but what if they reject them? I will still go vegetarian but I don't want to cause any conflict or trouble.

Will I be able to get the needed nutrients? I'll still be eating eggs and dairy because I am NOT a veggie lover but I won't eat meat and will hopefully become vegan soon enough. Would taking a multivitamin work?Which vitamins would I be lacking by going vegetarian?

I've looked through vegetarian recipes, but I can't find any good, quick lunch recipes. The only things I can really think of would be salads, rice, and jelly sandwiches.

Are things like tofu for protein necessary if I'm still eating eggs and drinking milk?

Thank you so much in advance.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
One day out of the blue I told my parents I was going veggie. It was because of those tortured cows on video and they still don't know this but I saw a PETA video where they tortured and skinned animals alive. My parent's know I'm very strong willed and that I probably woudn't eat anyy meat anyway but they did leave out bacon. :) If there your parents they should just accept it and get over it. My mom said she wouldn't cook my meals hoping to entice me to become a meat head again but I began cooking my own.

You can get all the protiens you need from veggies. I try to remember to take the flinstones (don't get the gummy, they have gelatin) but I don't always remember but I didn't die so no biggie! My docter just said to eat green veggies. I myself am also not a veggie lover but I've adjusted.

For lunch I have grilled cheeses, veggie burgers, mozzarella sticks, chickness less nuggets, poppers, salad, macaronie and cheese, plain noodles, just to name a few. Obviously these aren't vegan foods!

I don't eat tofu and I'm fine.

I hope I could be of some help and thanks for saving a life!!!!

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
For lunch I have grilled cheeses, veggie burgers, mozzarella sticks, chickness less nuggets, poppers, salad, macaronie and cheese, plain noodles, just to name a few. Obviously these aren't vegan foods!

I'm sure you know, but those lunch choices are very health conscious and most are very processed. Though they are obviously veggie, it doesn't help the balanced diet arguement.

To the OP, you say you'll still eat eggs and milk but are wanting to become vegan. It's unclear from the post, but you ARE planning on cutting those out, right? You say you don't like veggies, once vegan, what are you going to eat so you get your vitamins? I'm not attacking you at all, good for you, but it's just a good thing to think of beforehand.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
Hehe yeah Pixisticks I'm not the healthy tool in the shed. Most often i just have a PBJ and a snack. I'm not big on lunch, I was just trying to give her some idea's to work with.

piggyluv

Cavy Slave
I planned on being vegetarian, then going vegan after I adjusted, you know, eating a lot more veggies and such because I don't think I would be able to go vegan in one giant step. Sorry if the post was unclear.

banjosnotbombs

Cavy Slave
When I told my parents about going vegan I focused more on the health benefits than other reasons. My family is a lot more accepting of that, and after explaining it to my Mom, she's in on it with me too. My Dad's also more likely to eat food I make if I don't say 'it's vegetarian', but I explain why it's healthy.
I'm not saying to leave out your moral reasons, I still explained my moral reasons, but most people seem to be more open towards the health benefits.

I don't take multivitamins, but I do take iron supplements(given to me by my naturapath, and I've taken that before becoming veggie), blackstrap molasses, and algae oil.
I also really focus on food combination to get complete nutrients, and making everything at home(bread, soups, etc).
My ND gave me a bunch of diet information, and she credits Veg.ca, so maybe check out that website.
A website I absolutely love that has great vegan recipes is Fatfree Vegan Recipes, check out the blog, too.

Also, I believe lacto-vegetarian is a vegetarian who still drinks milk and eats milk products, but not other animal products, ovo-vegetarian is a vegetarian who eats eggs, and vegetarian or strict vegetarian is one who eats no animal products.
I wish you the best of luck!:)

RainKindle

Cavy Slave
Mostly what will be missing is proteins.
Peanut Butter,
Cheese,
and Beans can help
My favorite thing to eat is my mom's vegetarian chili
I've not been able to duplicate it myself yet successfully, but when I do, I plan on sharing the recipe with the world.
Anyways, there are many options.
Another thing you should add to your foods is flaxseed.
Best of luck if you are having turkey dinner tonight!

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
My mom found some article about protein and vegetarians and vegans, and it's great, but I'll have to have my mom find it for me later so you can read it.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I've been starting to cut meat out of my diet in hopes to become a lacto-ovo vegetarian. Last night just because it was thanksgiving I had a bite of turkey and it really didn't do it for me. I didn't eat anymore. Since I've been replacing meat with other things and eating a ton of different veggetables lately I'm really not craving meat and I feel guilty for eating a bite last night. Needless to say I believe you can only be a healthy vegetarian and vegan as long as your diet is well balanced. It definitely doesn't need meat. I'm learning that as time goes on.

BubuCandyBlue

Cavy Slave
Don't worrie, do a google, and you will find tons of information about all nutrients you need and where you can obtain them from. Trust me, there is always an option to meat!
For eg. look here Problem nutrients for vegetarians and vegans.

Till then, choose what kind of vegetarian you want to be:

1. Pescatarian (also spelled pescetarian)

The word “pescatarian” is occasionally used to describe those who abstain from eating all meat and animal flesh with the exception of fish. Although the word is not commonly used, more and more people are adopting this kind of diet, usually for health reasons or as a stepping stone to a fully vegetarian diet.
2. Flexitarian/Semi-vegetarian

You don’t have to be vegetarian to love vegetarian food! “Flexitarian” is a term recently coined to describe those who eat a mostly vegetarian diet, but occasionally eat meat.
3. Vegetarian (Lacto-ovo- vegetarian)

When most people think of vegetarians, they think of lacto-ovo-vegetarians. People who do not eat beef, pork, poultry, fish, shellfish or animal flesh of any kind, but do eat eggs and dairy products are lacto-ovo vegetarians (“lacto” comes from the Latin for milk, and “ovo” for egg). Lacto-vegetarian is used to describe a vegetarian who does not eat eggs, but does eat dairy products.
Ovo-vegetarian refers to people who do not eat meat or dairy products but do eat eggs.

4. Vegan

Vegans do not eat meat of any kind and also do not eat eggs, dairy products, or processed foods containing these or other animal-derived ingredients such as gelatin. Many vegans also refrain from eating foods that are made using animal products that may not contain animal products in the finished process, such as sugar and some wines. There is some debate as to whether certain foods, such as honey, fit into a vegan diet.
5. Raw vegan/Raw food diet

A raw vegan diet consists of unprocessed vegan foods that have not been heated above 115 degrees Fahrenheit (46 degrees Celsius). “Raw foodists” believe that foods cooked above this temperature have lost a significant amount of their nutritional value and are harmful to the body.
6. Macrobiotic

The macrobiotic diet, revered by some for its healthy and healing qualities, includes unprocessed vegan foods, such as whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and allows the occasional consumption of fish. Sugar and refined oils are avoided. Perhaps the most unique qualifier of the macrobiotic diet is its emphasis on the consumption of Asian vegetables, such as daikon, and sea vegetables, such as seaweed.

source Types of Vegetarians

Erin Lee

Cavy Slave
Hi!

There is a website called Compassionate Cooks that is an enormous help to new vegetarians. She has a podcast that you can hear directly from her website if you don't have a player. She addresses everything from nutrition, to animal treatment, to telling your parents and other social issues. It is a gold mine of well researched, fascinating information. I don't know if I can post a link since I'm new, but I'll try. This is the page where you can listen:
Vegetarian Food for Thought: Inspiring a Joyful, Sustainable, Compassionate Diet

Her main website is here:
(broken link removed)

I can't recommend that site enough, it's been the most comforting and encouraging resource for me.

mummy2niamhy

Cavy Slave
How about cooking a family meal, spag bol, or tacos or something using quorn mince/meat substitute, and then after they have eaten it and said it's really nice, tell them that it was vegeterian meal, and you would like to be veggie, and would really like for them to help you by having some veggie meals altogether or just by letting you have veggie stuff if they wont eat it with you?

shamrockmommy

Cavy Slave
I'm a bit late coming in on this discussion. I am not vegetarian, but I do enjoy vegetarian meals, I try to keep meat/fish to a few times a week.

If one of my kids said they wanted to be vegetarian, I would be all for it. I would want them to make up a shopping list, research some recipes (accounting for healthy protein combos), etc.

Your parents might be surprised in a positive way. It's been a month since you posted, how did it go?

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
Judging by the date you probably don't need any advice anymore but... I am not a vegetarian but don't worry about your parents saying you can't be one - it is no one's business but yours what you put inside your body! Maybe you could help prepare the meals though, as it is more for your mum and dad to think about, and this is why they may be a bit resistant.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.