Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other Found a baby duck/goose!

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Hello all! So my dad was out driving and he found a baby duck/goose all by itself and no mother/siblings were near it. Being the interesting person he is, he brought him home... Right now it is in a rubbermaid tote box thing. We have a heat lamp for him and he is on pine shavings and has a dish of water. Any of you have an idea on what to feed/do with him? My brother raised chickens and said we can feed him unbleached corn meal. He looks like this (this is a picture I found off the web) We're not sure what we are going to do! :crazy:
canada-gosling.jpg

GuineaPigParty

Cavy Slave
I would call your local bird control.I hope he/she is okay! :)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I agree with above, a bird that young needs very specific care.

00pink

Cavy Slave
I agree with everyone else we tried to save two birds that fell from their nest they both ended up dying before animal control could come get them

couchon

Cavy Slave
I third some sort of a wild bird organization. Taking care of a baby animal is really difficult, especially if it needs to be re-introduced into the wild.

I would bring him there and make sure they have you contact info, so that if they can't keep him for some reason and need to euthanize, they can call you first, and you can take him in. The only reason I put this in is because where I live, the wild bird fund will euthanize birds with certain conditions, but if the person bringing the bird in is willing to care for the bird at home, they are OK with that. I would discuss this with them.

But, I would definitely go to them. They will check what's wrong, and the know how to take care of a baby bird.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to feed him something in the mean time. My brother wants to keep him -.- I don't really want to keep him.

Rayna.Duncan.

Cavy Slave
All you need to do is go to a farm supply store and buy duck starter, it has the protein it will need. Make sure it as a large but shallow container of water because it is a duck or goose and ave the eat lamp on it until it gets real feathers. I have raised many ducks and geese that I have hatched out :) its not too hard

couchon

Cavy Slave
But the baby may have been abandoned for a reason - if it has an undiagnosed illness, it may not be so easy.

Plus, if it's to be re-released into the wild, he needs to be rehabbed to learn how to survive there. He can't just go from a human house to the wild. And OP doesn't have experience with re-release.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Baby ducks are pretty easy (in my experience). They are not like other baby birds, or even small mammals. As already mentioned, go to your local farm supply to get food. I would recommend calling around to vets to see if anyone knows any rehabilitators that would either 1) take the duck or 2) help you raise it.

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
Ducks are basically just like chickens but they swim inwater. Caring for young birds is easy, get him oj duck food at your local feed shop, a heat lamp and fresh bedding. If you can,ducks LOVE alfalfa hay. Once it gets older you can make it a pond to swim in.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Just be careful if you have other pets or if the duck will be outside. My sister had three ducks she was raiding from babies and a dog got into the fenced yard and killed all three. It was horrible.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.