Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Floor time ... how much do you trust your guinea pigs?

Jojojo

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs are having a blast at the moment ... I've blocked off just one area (under my bed, I'd never get them out) and the rest of the room is theirs to explore. There are no wires so it's safe. I've put out their cardboard boxes and litter tray, and a fleece throw, in the hope that they would "go" on the fleece or tray rather than my carpet, but I can already see that they have left me some presents in a corner where they think I can't see them. :rolleyes:

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs are having a blast at the moment ... I've blocked off just one area (under my bed, I'd never get them out) and the rest of the room is theirs to explore. There are no wires so it's safe. I've put out their cardboard boxes and litter tray, and a fleece throw, in the hope that they would "go" on the fleece or tray rather than my carpet, but I can already see that they have left me some presents in a corner where they think I can't see them. :rolleyes:
Mine almost always go in a corner. I let them choose, then put litter boxes there. They like them covered, so I put a box with two entrance/exits over a flat box that soda comes in (lined with newspaper). Their latest preference is a paper bag with hay in it, also lined with newspaper. After each floortime, the poops go in the compost and the newspaper gets thrown in the recycling bin. Boxes, too, if they have become wet.

piggy love

Cavy Slave
i cant trust them its way to big of a mess! the pee and poop every where!

YayPiggies

Cavy Slave
My one guinea pig and his late friend I didn't trust at all. They chewed on everything and pooped and peed absoluely everywhere. If I put a plastic tablecloth down, they'd start to eat it and they wouldn't move until I put them back in their cage. They just weren't floortime-ish pigs.

However, my new guinea pig Shaggy that I adopted from Kijiji is teaching mine some things. He doesn't poop or pee unless he really has to, and he runs around like a maniac. He hops into my lap, and if he wants up he'll crawl into my hands. I think the difference is my old guinea pig was neglected for several years, where Shaggy has always had a great home.

Jojojo

Cavy Slave
Today they managed to break down the barracade stopping them from getting under my table. I don't know why they're not satisfied with the rest of the room. Naughty pigs. :p

Sylvr

Cavy Slave
My youngest two seem to have cage-trained themselves, (By cage-trained, I mean they simply climb up the ladder/front door that goes back into their cage) which is fortunate, so I trust them as far as that. And under the bed isn't much of an issue, they'll come out because they like to run. My problem is leaving the bedroom door open. One follows the other very closely, and the leader is very bold, so if I am not watching she and maybe the follower will be out in the hallway. I also don't trust her with stairs so I have to be very quick to go find her/them!

Llamasomething

Cavy Slave
I have a miniature tent that came in a basket we bought filled with cat stuff. I line it with a pillowcase or an old towel, and he's never gone anywhere else but there from the start. I have a LOT of my room blocked off, but he always seems really shy during floor time and never really goes out of one corner of the room anyways.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.