Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Exercise Floor time help

Piglet333

Cavy Slave
So I am moving to a smaller home. I have my pigs and 2 dogs, one of the dogs is a dachshund and so loves to chase small animals. In my current house I have the kids playroom which I can close easily and my pigs run, but the new house is an open floor plan and Im going nuts trying to figure out a safe and large enough area for floor time. My kids are young so being locked in a bedroom with them and the pigs is kinda tough. Thoughts please? I was debating attaching a playpen to her cage and allowing her access to it daily but then is that no different that just having a big cage? Advice

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
A very large playpen can work. That's what I started with when I got my first pair of baby boars. It started out being upstairs in my bedroom and later became a semi-permanent fixture in the living room (my parents were VERY tolerant!) �� The playpen took up the majority of the living room, so it provided a very large enclosed area and had enrichment changed out regularly to keep it interesting for the boys.

It wasn't until I moved out of my parents' place and into my current house that I started to slowly feel more comfortable with letting the pigs out to free-range in the evening. In the end, I had a very large playpen that I could open at a gate so the pigs could come and go as they pleased between the playpen and the main house.

I'd say as long as you can make a big enough area so the pigs can really roam and change the enrichment frequently enough to make it a stimulating environment, I think it will work fine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.