Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C First time building C&C cage....

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
First time building C&C cage....
Finally got to make a C&C cage for Annie & Clarabel! They are in love! This pic was taken last night, as they were "trying it out". I was a panel short so I got more today to complete the sides, as well as making a lid....

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I'm wondering where you got your grids. It looks like they have only 8 squares across each grid, which usually means that the squares are too large and pigs can get their heads through.

Otherwise, looks cute! Are you adding a kitchen area?

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
I'm wondering where you got your grids. It looks like they have only 8 squares across each grid, which usually means that the squares are too large and pigs can get their heads through.

Otherwise, looks cute! Are you adding a kitchen area?
They are from Target, the only place that has them around here. I was specifically looking for CloserMaid ones, but they do not sell them anymore. My pigs have been fine with the grids, and I have seen other pictures with 8 hole grids.
No plans on adding a kitchen area, I need a lid to baby/cat proof.... I am probably going to add another panel to make the cage longer, and ditch the coroplast

Traysea

Cavy Slave
For what it's worth my cats can stick their paws right thru the holes in a 9 hole grid. I find that closet shelves (16" wire closet shelves) from home depot worked better as a lid for toddlers (My twins are 2 1/2 now). The toddlers are a little heavy for the grids. They bent them. I used several supports to keep it from caving in. The closet shelves are stronger. I used a support rod from the cage store to hinge the two shelves together and two miracle bars for braces to make it super sturdy.

But the cat can still stick her arms thru the closet shelves too. So now I have vinyl on top of the cage to stop the cat from swiping at the the piggy.

Also, out of curiosity... why would you ditch the coroplast?

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
For what it's worth my cats can stick their paws right thru the holes in a 9 hole grid. I find that closet shelves (16" wire closet shelves) from home depot worked better as a lid for toddlers (My twins are 2 1/2 now). The toddlers are a little heavy for the grids. They bent them. I used several supports to keep it from caving in. The closet shelves are stronger. I used a support rod from the cage store to hinge the two shelves together and two miracle bars for braces to make it super sturdy.

But the cat can still stick her arms thru the closet shelves too. So now I have vinyl on top of the cage to stop the cat from swiping at the the piggy.

Also, out of curiosity... why would you ditch the coroplast?
My cats are pretty much ignoring the pigs right now. But I need a lid because my boys want to play with the pigs.
The coloplast was such a pain in the rear to make! If I make the cage larger, I will jut use a shower curtain over the foam mats and line with old towels with fleece on top.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
The ones from target are not the safe ones. There is even a thread that talks about them. You could always order them from amazon, I got mine there for $22.00. Bed bath and beyond should also sell them unless you don't have one. But if the coro sides are high enough they should be fine for now. But I would really look into getting different grids. I understand it can be tough to find them, I had a hard time that's why I ordered from amazon.

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
The ones from target are not the safe ones. There is even a thread that talks about them. You could always order them from amazon, I got mine there for $22.00. Bed bath and beyond should also sell them unless you don't have one. But if the coro sides are high enough they should be fine for now. But I would really look into getting different grids. I understand it can be tough to find them, I had a hard time that's why I ordered from amazon.
We have a BB&B but they are out if stock right now in the store, so I went ahead and bought these. My pigs were in a small cage and it was a constant pain keeping up with the cleaning. I didn't want to order online. My pigs are doing fine with these grids. Like I said I've seen other people on here that have 8 square grids.
I don't have the money to buy a whole new set of grids.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Yeah it's hard to handle the coroplast. I did 3 of them myself and then decided I'd just rather buy them from the cage store. Much easier to just do that, it's all scored and cut perfectly. Plus the ones I made ended up being a little smaller than the cage store one I bought. If I was going to attempt to do another coro tray I would use the one I bought as a template. But me being lazy, I just keep buying them from the cage store.

I have a thought though… since your cage is on the floor you could also just lay a clean/new flat sheet of coroplast down over the foam and not deal with the shower curtain at all. It might be easier to sweep, spray and wipe the coroplast. Just use it as a plain ol floor and not score/fold it into a tray.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
If your pigs are full size and your coroplast is at least 6 inches high, it may be fine. I've had experience with a pig getting his head stuck once, and it was pretty scary and he almost didn't survive. There have been instances where pigs did not survive, and strangled themselves.

(broken link removed)!!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.