Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Finding a pig sitter near you?

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I thought this may be on guineapigzone.com but I didn't see it. While I LOVE my vet, Dr. Welsh in San Jose, I don't love how they board animals. It's a room lines with pet store size cages and it's not a warm and fuzzy surrounding, very sterile.

I was wondering how on earth you can find a good pig sitter near you? Does anyone you folks approve talk to you about such services they offer? I know I can find ads on craigslist but I want people who are approved by folks like you who have high standards of care.

Is there a list that can be composed for folks who do this on a regular basis and put out there here or guineapigzone.com?

Thanks

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
I've heard that local rescues offer animal sitting service. Try to check with the rescues in your area. I don't know if I'd trust craiglist. I'm sure there are decent people on there, but I hear so many crazy things about people meeting people on CL for whatever the reason.. Just be careful if you go that route. If rescues don't work try to spread the work around your community, like maybe you or a friends church or something. Good Luck. :)

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
Another option is finding someone on the forum that may be able to do it. You know they are experienced with guinea pig care and will likely love the little guys (or girls) as much as you do :)

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
Yeah I would try to find someone on the forum near you that's willing to pig sit. I met a woman on here that lives an hour and a half away from me and she has me pig sit for her when she goes out of town

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Try care.com they have sitters of all sorts, its not just for baby sitters you can also find pet sitters.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I thought this may be on guineapigzone.com but I didn't see it. While I LOVE my vet, Dr. Welsh in San Jose, I don't love how they board animals. It's a room lines with pet store size cages and it's not a warm and fuzzy surrounding, very sterile.

I was wondering how on earth you can find a good pig sitter near you? Does anyone you folks approve talk to you about such services they offer? I know I can find ads on craigslist but I want people who are approved by folks like you who have high standards of care.

Is there a list that can be composed for folks who do this on a regular basis and put out there here or guineapigzone.com?

Thanks

While a vet might have a sterile environment, I still think it would be better than with someone who doesn't understand the needs of guinea pigs or might not care for them properly while you're away. Even someone you trust probably won't give them a lot of attention. I don't think the guinea pigs care about that because they'd probably be nervous in different environment and wouldn't want to be held by a stranger. They would be affected by lack of water or food but I doubt a reputable vet would overlook that.

Artista

Cavy Slave
OMG I found a gold mine! Thank you @lissie for pointing me to cavyhouse.org! Sue is SO nice! And it's $10 cheaper a day and includes food/hay/pellets. For my vet it was $20 a day and I had to take all her food and hay, not to mention the small metal prison like cage and atmosphere.

Here I just take her igloo, sleep sack, and toys. She will be in a 2x3 CC cage! I'm so excited she will be going to this rescue and will be with Sue who's love for what she does came across loud and clear on the phone!

Yay!!

lissie

Cavy Slave
Glad it works out for you. Sue is wonderful!

pinky

Cavy Slave
OMG I found a gold mine! Thank you @lissie for pointing me to cavyhouse.org! Sue is SO nice! And it's $10 cheaper a day and includes food/hay/pellets. For my vet it was $20 a day and I had to take all her food and hay, not to mention the small metal prison like cage and atmosphere.

Here I just take her igloo, sleep sack, and toys. She will be in a 2x3 CC cage! I'm so excited she will be going to this rescue and will be with Sue who's love for what she does came across loud and clear on the phone!

Yay!!

That sounds great and supplying the food is a real bonus!

Artista

Cavy Slave
That sounds great and supplying the food is a real bonus!

I know! I had to double check what it said on the website with her. You choose the type of hay to give, pellets (she has Oxbow & KMS) and you list your gp favorite veggies. This is like a dream boarding situation and the price is really good!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.