Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Feet Inquiry

Pulsepoint129

Cavy Slave
Hey all.

I just have a question regarding feet, and I have already checked through the information on podermatitis in guinea pigs and other skin disorders here and on the other website as well, but I can't seem to pin it down.

The last time my male piggie Felix (he'll be one year in November) went for a check-up, the veterinarian looked a bit concerned about his feet and asked us what sort of cage and bedding we use. I told him about our current set-up and that we use the fleece recommended on here. We're very meticulous about keeping their cage as tidy as possible--we do spot cleans everyday and thorough cleanings twice a week. (This is because we're in the process of constructing a new hay system, so right now it's just kind-of in a corner of their cage.) We gave him permission to test him for mites as well as potential fungal and bacterial infection, (he was concerned that it could turn into bumblefoot) and upon follow-up everything turned out to be completely normal. His general symptoms are just dark pinkish/red, swollen pads. It's only affecting one of my two boys, and only his back paw pads at that. He doesn't appear to be in any pain, and it's not getting any worse or any better. Just looks swollen. I'm wondering if maybe Felix is getting a sort-of rugburn from the fleece, or perhaps we should switch to a Free&Clear detergent when washing the fleece? He also loves trampling back and forth in his hay corner. *shrug* This really left us all stumped. The veterinarian said not to use any human topical creams on it at all, and to watch his feet to make sure there are no further signs or symptoms of an impending infection. I just can't figure out why it's just Felix's back paw pads, nor can I figure out what exactly is causing his feet to be like that. I can tell you this, though...when my boyfriend and I went away on vacation for a week, we had him and Patch stay at their Auntie M's for a week in a temporary set-up. (A large plastic kiddie pool lined with a bunch of Care Fresh bedding.) When we got him back, his feet seemed to have appeared less swollen. In any case, the next time we do a cage cleaning I am going to see if switching to a hypoallergenic detergent would do the trick.

P.S--I appreciate any responses, and apologize in advance for any delay in getting back here...I'm actually borrowing someone else's computer for right now. Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.