Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fabrics and misc

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Is there a sub category for accessories and toys? My question is regarding sewing huts and cozies or crafting them. If I were to make a hidey hut what type of fabric could I use on the outside that bedding and hay wouldn't cling to so bad? Basic cotton? I'd still line the inside with fleece but I'd like the outside to not have stuff stick to it. Maybe t-shirt material?

My second question is, could I paper mâché a hut? I was thinking if I used a flour and water paste it would be all natural and wouldn't hurt them if they chewed on it a little. I could remove it if they seemed to want to chew a lot of it but I didn't think it would be any worse than cardboard. Or I could just wet the paper and have it dry over a big bowl so it would dry in a hut type shape. Thoughts? Just some ideas I was kicking around so I thought I'd ask while I was thinking about it.

I'm also kicking around ideas about hay holders. I was trying to think of a good way to make a hay room though I want to take up as little floor space as possible. You've probably seen pics of tunnels that hold hay around them. Has anyone used one? Something like this:
Fabrics and misc

Just wondered how well they would do with something like that.

Fabrics I can't say much about regarding what is safe for piggies other than fleece, but as for the hay tunnel I had a thought of using office binder clips to secure two grids bent into tunnel shapes around hay! Much like the tunnel you posted above, but grids instead of wood :D

I do think that some people use a mix of cotton and fleece for cozies and hides, yes. I don't, but I know some use hay bags made of cotton so the hay doesn't stick to it, so I'm assuming it's the same way with bedding. It makes sense, too, as cotton is thin and smooth while fleece is thicker and has a bit of a texture to it.

Also I have never seen a hay rack/tunnel like that before, but that is pretty awesome! My only concern would be if they could get their heads stuck in the rungs, but I can't tell how big thr space is in the picture. It looks like a good space, I guess if you have a big piggy they might get stuck, but a little one they might go in!

Excellent idea @spy9doc, I might actually have a few of those laying around.

The problem with fabrics like cotton are health risks of guinea pigs ingesting loose threads. Threads can damage their digestive system. You need to be sure they won't chew on it. Fleece is best because it doesn't fray.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.