Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Eyewash as antiseptic for wounds

aden_al

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I don't have any salt in my home and I read somewhere that water and salt are good for cleaning wounds. Is it safe to use one of those eyewash (I had one spare) to put in a wound in a guinea pig paw or cut?

So today I was looking at one of my babies and they had a skirmish (I think one pushed the other mostly, but one screamed) so I used my cellphone light to check them. They looked fine, except that one had "dried blood" in her right paw between her fingers. I was really scared. So I was able to grab her (they hate being grabbed/picked up).

I noticed her fingers in her front paw were red with "dry blood", the rest of her paws looked normal. I started touching her baby paw but she was moving, then I noticed that it looked odd, so I remembered she had a raspberry and stole the other one's raspberry (the other one didn't seem to like it, and Altaria seemed to love it), and it was possible she used her right paw to hold it.

So I put some eyewash drops in her paw and massaged he paw and between her fingers and touched it. She expressed no discomfort at all (and she's a loud baby) and her paw was clean afterwards. I am almost certain it was the raspberry but I want to know if I can use the drops to clean other NON-EYE wounds. I guess i wanted to hear your opinions.

The eyewash drops are purified water and boric acid. It seems it's not dangerous at all (people put it in their eyes) and it is antiseptic.
https://www.healthline.com/health/boric-acid-eye-wash#about-boric-acid

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd just use warm water. If a wound is deep enough to require something else to clean it, it also probably needs an antibiotic.

aden_al

Cavy Slave
I'd just use warm water. If a wound is deep enough to require something else to clean it, it also probably needs an antibiotic.

ok!! thanks

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.