Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Everyone's guinea pigs weekly veg/fruit menu

GG guinea pig

Cavy Slave
My piggies eat about a handful of parsley, handful of kale, about half a carrot cut into pieces, about 6-7 green beans and couple pieces of cucumber a day and that's their weekly menu
Every couple of day I will change the carrot and beans for spinach or a corn cob. But other than that this is what they eat every day... Is this ok??
I've tried them on capsicum (bell peppers) but they won't eat them and cherry tomatoes but they take a bite and that's all
plus ever other day they might get banana or watermelon
I'm just wondering what your piggies weekly menu is :)

Oh a South Australian!
My pigs all get a large leaf of lettuce, a carrot and some cucumber each a day, and sometimes they will get some red cupcicums, but it depends on what my mum has bought

Mine of course gets lettuce of several varieties, cucumbers, and bell peppers, but hims LOVES when he gets apple, grapes, or other fruits a couple times a week. I also feed oxbow pellets and unlimited timothy hay

Here's what I've been feeding as of late, it get's changed depending on the season. I don't strictly go off it, I'll usually change it around a bit every couple of weeks.

Monday:

-Red oakleaf lettuce.
-Tomato.
-Green pepper.
-Zucchini.

Tuesday:
-Silverbeet.
-Red oakleaf lettuce.
-Green pepper.
-Carrot.

Wednesday:
-Butter lettuce.
-Green pepper.
-Zucchini.
-Watermelon.

Thursday:
-Cilantro.
-Green pepper.
-Butter lettuce.
-Corn husk.

Friday:

-Green Pepper.
-Carrot.
-Cherry tomato.
-Green oakleaf lettuce.

Saturday:
-Green pepper.
-Cucumber.
-Green oakleaf lettuce.
-Strawberry.

Sunday:

-Green oakleaf.
-Green pepper.
-Celery leaves.
-Corn husk.

My piggies eat about a handful of parsley, handful of kale, about half a carrot cut into pieces, about 6-7 green beans and couple pieces of cucumber a day and that's their weekly menu

I'd limit the kale, kale should be fed sparingly due to the high levels of Vitamin A. (Only feed twice a week at most).
Green beans are high in oxalic acid which can bind with calcium to create oxalate stones in the bladder. Parsley should be fed at most 2-3 times a week due to it's high levels of calcium.
Try add a bit more leafy vegetables such as lettuces (romaine, cos, butterhead) and add a high in vitamin C veggie to their daily diet (Like green capsicum).

Mine have a staple breakfast of lettuce, capsicum and carrot every day. Some days I will add corn or apple or tomato. In the afternoons they get watermelon rind or corn husks or tiger grass. Other times hay is available and pellets overnight.

Mine get romaine/cos lettuce as their main veg, usually mixed with green bell pepper and on occasions yellow/red, they also get swiss chard a few times a week as well as some parsley and kale now and again. At the weekend they get a small slice of apple each as well, sometimes a small seedless grape instead.

I try to mix it up. They always get Romaine lettuce & green peppers everyday. I add in carrots, winter squash, zucchini, red/yellow pepper, cucumber, occasionally parsley. Haven't tried fruit or tomatoes yet. My Winifred favors carrots. She only gets those hand fed to her. I can't put carrots in the cage, because it always starts a fight.
Edited to add: They always have pellets and Timothy hay. Their ages range from 4 weeks-7ish weeks.

Right now, mines getting a mix of dandelion greens, green pepper slices, baby carrot slices, a red grape, a pea pod, and celery bits. He won't eat raisins or turnip greens. I will go get some lettuce, a cucumber, another pepper, and maybe some cherry tomatos and an orange the next time I'm at the store. I really enjoy handfeeding!

They get red or green leaf every meal, green pepper am and cucumber in the pm, baby carrots or an apple slice every night. They do get other stuff once in a while, a slice of orange or pear, corn in the summer etc but they really dislike many vegs. If I am having a pineapple outshine bar, they get a nibble. They know the sound of the wrapper coming off and go nuts.

Check out this chart of what you can feed and how often. Some of your menus don't look good for piggies, as in too many carrots, too often kale and other things that shouldn't be fed so often, etc. This chart should be followed otherwise you could face problems with your piggies.

My girls receive romaine daily, but they get a different food every day, and they receive that item only once a month. It keeps their diet super varied, interesting, and it helps me determine what they like and don't like! At first, it was difficult to adjust to such a crazy schedule, but it is so much fun to feed this way! We also use toys to dispense the food, so they have to work for their "fun" stuff! We do everything from staples like cilantro and green pepper to more interesting items like frozen pumpkin and cranberries! I second Artista, though. Overloading on kale, cilantro, spinach, and parsley can lead to stones, both oxalate and bladder. My Kona is a "stone pig," and cannot have too much parsley, spinach, and cilantro, which have higher Ca:p ratios, and kale, which is high in oxalic acid. If anyone is interested in the enrichment activities or lists, I can send them to you, just ask!
Everyone's guinea pigs weekly veg/fruit menuEveryone's guinea pigs weekly veg/fruit menu

Hippie gets a big leaf of green leaf lettuce, part of a green pepper, one cut up baby carrot, a small piece of broccoli and cauliflower, cilantro, another kind of bell pepper (depending on the week, I give him both the green and another kind mixed together at the same time), two small cucumber slices, a couple small green beans cut up and/or a small piece of tomato (only occasionally) and at least one kind of fruit a week. This is what he mainly gets everyday/week with of course other random veggies thrown in too such as celery, corn husks, sugar snap peas, etc. Been trying to get him to eat zucchini but so far he'll eat a bite, realize what it is and then just leave it to rot.

Everyone's guinea pigs weekly veg/fruit menuEveryone's guinea pigs weekly veg/fruit menu
First picture is Hippie enjoying his veggies and giving me a look like "try to take it. I dare you." Second it's all of the animals at the time's dinner all ready (two hamsters, two gerbils, two hermit crabs and of course Hippie). They eat better than I do, I swear.

Daily stuff consists of lettuce, endive, peppers, fresh grass, some weeds or fresh flowers and some sort of herb. With that they'll get two of the following; tomato, carrot, cucumber, green or snap beans, celery, peas or squash. We don't feed the same things from that list two days in a row. Then 1-2 times a week they get a bit of fruit and stuff like cabbage, kale, watercress, rocket, corn and broccoli/cauliflower, but what exactly they get depends mostly on what's in season.

@RoxMad
Oh I love that toy you have! That is so neat!

Currently my boys (They're fosters, Toothless and Nightfury. Pigtures coming soon!) are experiencing carrots and red bell pepper for the first time. They just came from a shelter a few days ago so they're still super spooked so I'm giving them a little time.

Plus, I don't know if they've ever had veggies or not before. But they seemed pretty content to nab a piece and drag it into their pigloos when they thought I wasn't looking, haha.

The only food Steve my guinea pig is interested in is cos lettuce, grass, kale, cucumber and carrot. i bought him other food but he won't touch it

Before I found the forum, I didn't know Romaine and Kale and Spinach were things they shouldn't have often. I have to tell you, it seriously bums me out. The other lettuces just don't hold up as well. I prefer to only shop once a week and my lettuces are starting to wilt by the third day! Is there a trick to keeping them crisp? Or is there a certain lettuce you could recommend that holds up well?

My piggies eats red capsicum and zucchini everyday. Thrice a week they will have banana leaves, corn cob, baby carrot and parsley.;) But they prefer red capsicum the most. :)

maybe you can try to wrap it inside two to three pieces newspaper and put it in the vegetable section. :)

Newspaper? I'm definitely willing to try it but what makes that work? Just curious...lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.