Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Heart Issues Enlarged Heart: Medication Question

RubysMama

Cavy Slave
I am so glad we went to have her re-checked. SHe had been having such extreme ups and downs that I wanted the vet's eyes on it again because I couldn't tell if she was thriving or failing, really.

The vet said she's glad I brought her in. Her chest sounds better than it did previously, and the hacking/coughing up she did last weekend very likely was the last of her blockage clearing up. HOWEVER, she noticed her thyroid was severely enlarged - it wasn't even detectable 2.5 weeks ago at her last appointment but today it was massive. She said that thyroid disease in guinea pigs often can be the root cause of an enlarged heart (which in turn can cause fluid on the lungs). So, we are trying a medication to hopefully get her thyroid in shape which should then ease the burden on her heart and her lungs.

She said operating is an option, but often with guinea pigs who have lost a lot of weight it comes with a serious risk that she wouldn't make it through the operation and the procedure is incredibly expensive.

So, she's going to be on the thyroid med + enalapril + furosemide and she goes back in 5-6 weeks. The vet also suggested trying to supplement with some critical care, to see if we can help boost her nutritional intake a little and help her while the meds start to work.

I am so relieved, and the doctor said that right now there's no reason not to be hopeful. Now, we just keep on keepin' on and hopefully the new meds work.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm glad you've got a much better handle on what's going on with Ruby now, and it sounds like you have a great, knowledgeable vet. You can't hope for much more !

Do keep us posted on Ruby's progress, and try to keep a record of things like a journal of what you have to do with her, and what she goes through. This can not only help the vet, but can help you later on too.

I'm glad things are looking up for you and your little pancake piggie!

RubysMama

Cavy Slave
I have been keeping a record of her weights, meds, etc in my planner but I might start a notebook or journal just for her stuff. The vet found it pretty helpful that I was able to tell her what Ruby's days were like and I had notes on days where she was really poorly and days when she was really peppy.

I'm really happy we have the vet we have, she's really amazing. She's good to Ruby and also to me, which I really appreciate.

Here's a gratuitous pic of Rubes waiting with her bun-bun (she LOVES this stuffed animal, and snuggles with it all the time) while we wait for the doc to come in to the exam room:
56927161_10161587779555024_6973331604982726656_n.jpg

RubysMama

Cavy Slave
Well, she fought valiantly. She had some wins and some good days but ultimately, I think it was just too much and she was just too sick.
We made the decision to let her rest, and be at peace. Last night at the vet's office we said our goodbyes and I lost a little piggy-sized piece of my heart there.

This morning has been weird. No 'medically complex' piggie to weigh and give meds and hand feed. Just her three spunky sisters wondering what the heck is going on. I've struggled since getting back from the vet, to connect to my other three pig-pigs. They're so sweet and they're so loving and hilarious - but they definitely aren't as close to me as Ruby was. She came running at the sound of my voice, happily hopped up for a snuggle, and we had a close bond.

Walking down my stairs this morning and not seeing her furry little snout in the cage grids sniffing out for her veggies - it was startling.

We were able to bring her home after the euthanasia last night, and we found her a sweet little spot on our property where the clovers (her absolute favourite thing ever) grow in abundance, and laid her to rest. We'll plant something there this season for her.

RIP Rube-a-loo I can't wait to see you at The Bridge. May you popcorn in eternity amongst a neverending field of clover.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Damn. I had hoped with no news, Ruby had been feeling much better. I am so sorry you've lost her, and just as sorry that you had to make that choice. Such an unbelievably painful one to have to make.

While that piggie sized hole in your heart will stay there, your other girls will help you to heal. Not sure how well I would have made out after losing Sly, without Punkin and Scooter. They pulled me through some pretty low patches.

Rest in peace now, Ruby. Know how much you are loved, and carry that with you to the Rainbow Bridge.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I’m so sorry about Ruby, she was so lucky having such a good home. I understand how difficult it is when you lose a pet with medical needs. We become closer to the ones who need more care. I’m sure your other girls will give you reasons to smile when you least expect it. Take care.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry Ruby didn't make it and can only imagine how difficult it has been for you.

RubysMama

Cavy Slave
Thanks. She did have a good run for a few days here and there, where we thought we were turning a corner. But she just kept worsening, and we knew this past weekend that it was time. A week ago, we were ready to say our goodbyes then she had two amazing days where she was spunky, breathing clearly, and sassy as her old self - - but this past weekend she declined quickly. Her weight dropped again and her breathing was so gnarly she was choking while she ate. I feel like those couple of days last week were her last hoorah in a way.

My other three girls seem...confused. There was ZERO doubt that Rubes was the Pig-In-Charge of their little crew, and they seem to be wandering around a little like they aren't sure what to do without The Boss herding them around haha. I've been trying to give them a little extra love when they let me. 2 of my 3 remaining girls are VERY skittish and came from bad beginnings, so they are still learning to enjoy being handled and I tend to give them their space. The third girl is a snuggle bug and her favourite place to be is up under one of her humans' chins.

Making the call was really difficult. It was really easy on the up days to think we can hang in there a little while longer and hope for a turnaround, but then on the bad days they were getting progressively worse. On the final day, she started pacing back and forth in a hidey and looked frantic and her breathing was awful. Right up to the final moments at the vet's office I was doubting my decision because she seemed okay at the moment.

I feel sad still today, obviously, but its the weirdest things that set me off into a blubbering mess of tears. Last night I sliced up some cucumber to give the girls a little treat, and sliced four pieces. I walked to the cage and realized I only needed three now. I just stood there and my son asked me what I was doing, and I just bawled while holding the 4th piece of cucumber.

I really had no idea losing such a wee animal would leave me in such a big mess.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Fly free over the Rainbow Bridge, sweet Ruby! You certainly were loved.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.