Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

emergency

Cavy Tamer

Cavy Slave
I don't know where the emergencies go!

There is white liuid coming out of one of my pig's eyes!

What's happening?

Does he have any other symptoms or does nothing seem to be out of the ordinary otherwise? Definitely go to the vet if you can and post on the guinea lynx forum; they might know better.

It's grooming fluid. It's normal.

Ly&Pigs said:
It's grooming fluid. It's normal.

.. really?

Her eyes are also a little sunken in. She is still eating normally and acting the same (I think). The nearest vet to me will be closed by the time I could get there.

Is it a milky white fluid?

It's fine. Just a cleaning fluid they use to wash their face with. No worries.

slap_maxwell said:
It's fine. Just a cleaning fluid they use to wash their face with. No worries.

OK. Pshew!

I'd just never seen it before!

Wow, that was a scare...

Thanks for the help.

They're so cute when they clean themselves

Aw, I had to ask on here as well when I saw it. I thought that furlong had a URI and I was stressing

I'm so glad that you asked this. For the past day i've noticed my girl has the same white stuff. It's only in one eye. I saw it yesterday. Took her out today for cage cleaning and it wasn't there. I thought, oh good she's fine. Went to put her back in the cage and it was there. I'm glad to find out it's normal!

Are you supposed to wipe it off?

Well, anticipating a possible "last meal" for my cavy, I gave them a banquet of the veggies they love most. Well, it turns out they are fine... And now couldn't be happier, as they munch away.

Cute little pigs, they are.

That's so sweet, mine are eating away as well. I can hear them eating their salad

No, I wouldn't wipe it off. It is a natural part of their cleaning process, it would be sort of like not letting us cry and clean our eyes.

It is so cute when they groom. :)

They are cute when they clean them selves. Sometimes I would have 2 of them right next to eachother trying to clean their own backs and they smack into eachother. They would look up and say I was here first.

If they are producing the grooming fluid almost constantly then that is a problem and they need to see a vet. They should normally only produce it when they are grooming.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.