Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Eek!

she hasn't gone up their for a few days so... i'm not sure if when I saw her if it was her first time or what.

Putting a piece of cloropast on top of the hayrack would prevent her from getting out. But then, it will also make it a more appealing place to sit and hide. Which means, you have the chance of lots of pee and poos in the hay and the chance of her getting her foot stuck!

Not sure what you mean by that. If the coroplast is on top, it should prevent her from getting in.

This is what I was talking about. Coro on top and sides.
hay_rack - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

Carley was the same way. So instead of bending the grid to a narrow "V", I widened it and then zip tied one side to the cage wall. Then I made kind of a chain of zip ties (hooking each one to the next one) and attached that to the side of the rack. "Monkey" pig hasn't been up there since.

Wow she climbed all the way over the top of the rack! That is one determined piggie. I have jumpers rather than climbers and they have jumped quite high to get in a hayrack made of an undershelf unit that hangs horizontally. I gave in to their desire to lie in hay as follows. Clean hay is provided from small hanging racks that they wouldn't fit into even if they could climb over the top; and then under the racks are hay baskets that they can jump into and laze in fatly. The racks are over the side of the baskets by the cage wall, so their heads are pointed that way and their behinds the other way. As well as keeping the overhead racks filled, I keep replacing the hay in the baskets, at the head end as they eat down into it and at the rump end as it gets soiled. The baskets are lined with washable, flexible vinyl drawer liner and then a layer of coarse hay. The poops shake down between the hay strands. I put more hay on top a couple of times a day and that keeps them dry. I replace the hay at the 'rump end' of the baskets every day or second day as needed and thoroughly clean out the baskets once a week. My piggies roam around a lot but after they have their veggies they love to 'veg out' in their hay baskets and they eat more hay that way so I give into their hay nesting instincts.

Ok so you know the pictue I posted? I forgot to metion that it's not as bent as that one. It's almost like an L but a bit more bent

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.