Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Eek!

clikits99

Cavy Slave
Ok so last night I was in the room my piggie is in and I heard Blackberry drinking from her water bottle so I went to see her and she was climbing on to her hay rack! :eek: She got up on in and acted like she did this all the time! Is this safe for her? After I told my dad ( My mom was already asleep) I picked her up and put her In her close to her water bottle. And she acted like nothing strange or weird had happend! Do I need to do anything? Or Is this normal GP behavior? Please help I'm scared she's going to climb even higher than her hay rack and get out of her cage! :eek: And she is in a 2x3

Ok so last night I was in the room my piggie is in and I heard Blackberry drinking from her water bottle so I went to see her and she was climbing on to her hay rack! :eek: She got up on in and acted like she did this all the time! Is this safe for her? After I told my dad ( My mom was already asleep) I picked her up and put her In her close to her water bottle. And she acted like nothing strange or weird had happend! Do I need to do anything? Or Is this normal GP behavior? Please help I'm scared she's going to climb even higher than her hay rack and get out of her cage! :eek: And she is in a 2x3

What type of hay rack do you have? If it just grids, like mine, then yes, it can be dangerous. If it is grids or something like it, her feet could get caught. I used to have a wooden hidey in our old 2x5 cage, and my girls would perch on top of it like birds.

As long as the rack is safe and she can get hurt, then it is fine. Now, if you are afraid of her possibly getting out, then you could make that part of the cage with a top with just a grid or two.

The hay rack is a bent grid. And I currently have a peice of cardbored ziptied to the cage over that section.

The hay rack is a bent grid. And I currently have a peice of cardbored ziptied to the cage over that section.

Is there any way possible that she could get her foot stuck?
If not, then it's perfectly fine (with a top). :)

Well she can get her foot stuck in a few places in her hay rack. But all I will have to to is spread her hay around her hay rack some more

Well she can get her foot stuck in a few places in her hay rack. But all I will have to to is spread her hay around her hay rack some more

I don't know what the rack looks like, but you could put coroplast on top to cover the holes in the grids.

But if I did that she couldn't get to the hay from under her hay rack

But if I did that she couldn't get to the hay from under her hay rack

I'm sorry, I just don't know what the rack looks like. I could help you better if I knew what it looked like. Do you have a picture? Or could you find a picture where someone made a rack similar to yours?

One of my pigs did this when she was little. I put a row of zip ties along the side of the rack (about 4 from top to bottom) so she couldn't get in there anymore. You could also cut a piece of coroplast or cardboard to cover up just the side so she can still access the hay without climbing into the rack.

Eek!

Here is a picture I found in the photo gallery my hay rack looks almost exactly like this one

I agree with Fieryone's advice.

Thanks. But Blackberry didn't go up the side where it was the lowest. She got up the highest part. So putting it on the side wouldn't help ( I'm sorry if i'm sounding rude or anything I'm just saying the way she did it )

You are not being rude, we are just trying to imagine it. Are you saying you saw her climb the actual squares of the grid?

You are not being rude, we are just trying to imagine it. Are you saying you saw her climb the actual squares of the grid?

she had grabbed two of the grid squares then she pulled herself up to the highest grid and then she pulled herself over. :eek:

Wow! Spider pig!
You can add coroplast on top to cover the hay rack to prevent her from getting in.
Or you could switch to different type. Cardboard or coroplast boxes works really well.

Wow! Again I agree with lissie! Crazy pigger!

If she climbs like that, you might have to add a lid for the whole cage too.

Wow! Spider pig!
You can add coroplast on top to cover the hay rack to prevent her from getting in.
Or you could switch to different type. Cardboard or coroplast boxes works really well.

Ok. I will add a peice of coroplast to the top of her hay rack. Yup shes my little spider pig :silly:

Putting a piece of cloropast on top of the hayrack would prevent her from getting out. But then, it will also make it a more appealing place to sit and hide. Which means, you have the chance of lots of pee and poos in the hay and the chance of her getting her foot stuck!

Do you need a hayrack? Could you just get rid of it?

Or just make a coroplast hay box like lissie suggested.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.