Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Economical bedding for large cage

G

gpigct

Economical bedding for large cage

Hi, we have two guinea pig sisters that share a large cage (84 inches by 42 inches), with an upstairs area of (28 inches by 42 inches).

The floor of the cage is linoleum which is covered with a large rug (on both levels) and we use a collection of towels over the rug in various places. We change out the towels every day, and the entire rug gets pulled and washed once per week or so.

We've been looking for an economical, aobsorbent bedding material that could be used to cover the downstairs part of the cage. We're interested in products like Carefresh, but it would be very expensive for a cage of this size. I've heard you could use shredded paper towels, toilet tissue, etc. Is this feasible? Does it work? Is it safe? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for all responses!

2steps

Re: Economical bedding for large cage

You could buy a paper shredder and shred newspaper. Sometimes I cut newspaper into strips and put a pile in my pigs cages. They like to burrow in it :)

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Re: Economical bedding for large cage

2steps, I like the newspaper shredding idea too :D

As for bedding, Carefresh or Critter Care are both good beddings, and so is Aspen and Pine bedding. Just don't ever use Cedar...

S

semcavylover

bedding...

I have the description of what I do for my kids posted in the forum about the Alfalfa or Timothy hay question. But in the meantime have you thought about potty training your pigs, that way you only have to use a small amount of carefresh everyday, which would cost less than covering the entire cage. Try out this site, www.guineapigcages.com/floortime.htm , if you scroll down a bit it discusses potty training! Good Luck!

2steps

Re: bedding...

I'm thinking of buying a shredder as I do it my hand at the mo, which takes ages and aches your hands. I do it while watching tv.
My bf gets loads of unused newspapers from work so they are free and are thrown away otherwise |I so it's recyling and then some of it goes to my compost heap along with the uneaten hay, veggies and pellets :D

F

FireFly7137

I have a question about the newspaper bedding. I have huge cages and trying to find the best possible bedding without using pine cause I don't like the smell.

When newspaper gets wet it gives off ink. So when the piggies pee on it do they get ink on them? I have a solid white one and don't want him to become grey.

My cages are 2x10, 2x8 and a 2x6 C&C cage.

2steps

I have four white pigs and two that have white markings and worried about this too. It hasn't happened though and the print hasn't rubbed off on them while their playing in it either :)

P

pregasaurus

What about litter training your piggies and just having towels around the play areas? I can't seem to get my guys to go where I want them to, but everyone else seems to have no problem. You should give it a try.

2steps

I didn't train my pigs too but they do the majority of their poo/wee in one corner of the cage anyway.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.