Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ear tag?

rxqueen

Cavy Slave
I recently adopted a couple of girls from the humane society, and one of them has an ear tag. It's small and metal and looks like it goes right through her ear.

Does anyone know why someone would tag her ear? She was abandoned at the shelter so they don't know who her owner was. They couldn't even tell me her age or anything. My boyfriend and I have a suspicion she's a show pig or something, because she's really docile and used to being handled, but I'm just curious if anyone would know for sure?

By the way, I've named her Luna.

Here's the ear tag:

And just for fun, here's Luna with long hair:

And here's after the apparently traumatic hair trim:

That poor girl could barely walk without tripping over her own hair. And I am pretty certain she couldn't see either!

She is likely a show breeder dump. GPs are tagged like that in order to be shown in the United States. Even if it's not the original breeder that dumped her at the shelter then it was someone that the breeder sold or gave the pig to after it's usefulness was done. In my mind it's the same thing.

She is a pretty girl. I would take her to the vets to have the ear tag removed. Poor thing, at least she's got a loving home now.

That's really sad.

I would say, "who would do such a thing?" but that's kind of a ridiculous question considering. I kind of want to know more about her previous situation, but I am glad just to have her.

I'm going to take her to the vet to get that tag removed (since I wouldn't know how to do it and I don't want to hurt her).

Oh, we posted at the same time I think!

Ditto voodoo. Show pig. Or at least bought from a show breeder.

Beautiful Peruvian.

She's beautiful and looks just like my girl, Poppy.

I do believe the tag is from being a breeder pig or a show pig. Such a shame that they would do that.

She sure is a beauty! They do tag for shows.

I actually found this site:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXhttps://www.lopsandcavies.com/Ear_Tag_Cavy.htm

It's a little appauling to read, but it tells you on the bottom how to remove the tag. I am still afraid to do it myself because I don't want to hurt her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay I just realized that we're not allowed to link ot pro-breeding or showing sites, and I just did. I'm sorry.

I would have removed the link myself but I ran out of time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.