Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Dried forage

Bellah

Cavy Slave
Hi guys,

Does anyone know of a compatible product in Australia to Excel Forage?

image.jpg

I am am not sure if they need it, but i thought it would be pretty neat to buy some for them as a treat, or something different.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I'm not sure what is in forage bag but guinea pigs need a long stem grass hay available to them 24/7 to keep their guts moving and their teeth worn down. If you're not currently giving your guinea pigs hay you need to start to keep them healthy.

Bellah

Cavy Slave
Thanks Inle.

Yes, my piggies have access to fresh grass hay 24/7.

My understanding of Forages is they contain a mixture if edible herbs, flowers and mixed grasses which would be used for replicating what they would forage for in the wild.

I would love to be able to offer this to my piggies if it were available :)

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
My understanding of Forages is they contain a mixture if edible herbs, flowers and mixed grasses which would be used for replicating what they would forage for in the wild.

I would love to be able to offer this to my piggies if it were available :)

Hi Bellah,
can you tell me more about this product? I've not heard about it before! What herbs does it contain - do you have an ingredient list maybe? I love the sound of it too!!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I looked it up and it said it contains grasses, marigolds and dandelions. Marigolds and dandelions are high in calcium so I don't think I'd offer it. Plain grass hay would be better for them.

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
my pigs get forages and i have never had a problem with them. I dont give them it to offen as it is high in calcium as mentioned in an earlyer post but now and again wont hurt them. My piggys love their forages that they get. They wheek when they hear the bag being opened.

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
Both Marigolds and Dandelions are very valuable healing herbs that the body can use in many ways to maintain health, yes the calcium level is a concern with piggies, but I have to say that when I offer fresh herbs and my boys and girls don't need them they leave them. I would rather feed so that piggies have a choice than deny altogether. There are many a day I take out untouched food sources that they have declined. I think that a hungry piggie will not be so choosey, but a satisfied piggie who can take something or leave it without getting hungry because they didn't eat is really then attending naturally to their own individual needs via the body's innate intelligence. Any really hungry animal is going to overeat on dangerous foods, and in that case then yes better not allow access. But what if their water or fresh food is deficient in calcium because of soil conditions? The the pig would correct that by taking in just the right amount of calcium from the high source. I've taken out part nibbled dandelion leaves many a time. Just thoughts, because I think engaging the brain is valuable rather than an outright do or don't. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.