Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Much? Do you?

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
I was just kind of curious, do you ever get asked why you buy so many veggies by a check-out person at like Walmart? Yesterday, my Mom told me that my Guinea Pigs costed her $1.58 and I said that Guinea Pigs don't come cheap and the check-out lady asked if Guinea Pigs liked Romaine better then Iceburg and I told her that Guinea Pigs can't have Iceburg. The lady then said that my responsibilty for my Guinea Pigs will help me be a great Mom.

So do you ever get any comments for buying lots of veggies?

Hawise

Cavy Slave
Haha, it never happened to me but my boyfriend sometimes wonders why I take more care in "cooking" for the pets than I do for us humans!

I don't find the food part expensive. We will usually buy the pigs' veggies and then eat the same things. lol

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
WOW a $1.58! I wish I only spent that much, then again I don't buy just lettuce. Usually I eat a lot of the piggies veggies too so none go to waste. I also get free stuff that the produce department is throwing away.

I would like to add if that's a lot to spend on a guinea pig you should not get another one!

princesspoppy

Cavy Slave
No and it's really none of the check out girls business what i buy. $1.58 is extreamly cheap (what exactly did you get for 1.85?) . Today i bought,lettuce,kale,cucumber,parsley,1 red and 1 green pepper and that cost me 12euro. About ($8)

momof1kid3piggi

Cavy Slave
Yes I was asked this before. But I go to a market house, and a new lady was at the stand. asked me If they where all for me I bought 30.00 worth of veggies (for me and my piggy's) but I told her no. They are not all for me. I have 5 guinea pigs at home, She then looked at me and asked why so many? I told her because, You cant have just one! I wasn't sure, but she started laughing I wasn't sure if It was at me or just in general. but Yes I've been asked Why So many Veggies ll ready.

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
$1.58 is so cheap for pigs! Today I spent about $8 on 2 bags of romaine hearts (the kind with 3 to a bag), and head of red leaf lettuce. That will last about 3 days! (I buy all other veggies, anything not lettuce, on the weekend, and prep/clean/chop/organize/store all the other veggies so I can just add them to fresh lettuce.)

Iluvepiggies: How much do you think you spend on vegetables for your 2 pigs a week?

Last edited:

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
I eat a lot of veggies already and buy all of them from the produce market (where everyone's buying a lot of veggies!).

I just keep a big tupperware container in the fridge and what ever I'm chopping up for the day and for dinner I put some of it in there for the piggies especially the peices that would other wise go into the garbage because they're not the right size/part/whathave you for what ever I'm making.

Besides buying cilantro and an extra head of leaf lettuce this week my grocery bill was exactly the same as always.

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
Usually what we buy lasts me about 2-4 weeks and then we go buy more.

BTW, it was just Romaine Lettuce because I was out of it.

momof1kid3piggi

Cavy Slave
i get veggies, and I spend anywhere between 20-30 a week. My grocery bill usually stays the same.

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
Uh, Momof1kid3piggi, is that one hte middle yours? If it is, it looks EXACTLY like my Sandy and that is so freaky. Same breed, same colors. And I've never really noticed that.

JD In Van

Cavy Slave

BTW, it was just Romaine Lettuce because I was out of it.

How are you making anything but carrots last 2 - 4 weeks?? Can I have this magic refridgerator that does this?

We hit the produce store at least twice a week because my daughter's a fruit lover and I'm a veggie fiend myself. Fortunitely that has us always well stocked with stuff but I don't know of anything that keeps that long.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
No, but I was looked at funny by the guy at our little local market around the corner when I bought a bag of just 8 green beans (along with my other, normal portioned veggies). I then told him that they were for guinea pigs, we humans don't eat that light lol

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
How are you making anything but carrots last 2 - 4 weeks?? Can I have this magic refridgerator that does this?

We hit the produce store at least twice a week because my daughter's a fruit lover and I'm a veggie fiend myself. Fortunitely that has us always well stocked with stuff but I don't know of anything that keeps that long.
My Mom sometimes buys veggies for when we grill(Grilled veggies are really good) and she has some left over so she gives the leftovers to me for my Guinea Pigs. Sometimes(Like this week) she buys a pack of 3 of Bell Peppers and she usually only uses half of the bell pepper so she gives the other half to me and I get the Bell Pepper she doesn't use(yellow this time) And then we also have baby carrots and sometimes my Mom stocks up on salad bags and only uses a couple so I steal one bag and give my Guinea Pigs the Red Cabbage, Carrots and lettuce(as long as its Romaine. We're more of a Romaine Lettuce eater anyway) so usually they do get a lot more depending on how much my mom buys of veggies and fruits. Sandy will eat basically everything but Carly is my picky eater because she only likes Green and Yellow Bell Pepper but Sandy only likes Yellow, red and orange bell pepper so sometimes I have to work around what they like. Occasionally, my Mom buys Cherry Tomatoes and Strawberries so they get that occassionally(Strawberries give Sandy dark pink lips and Cherry Tomatoes give her red lips) so sometimes they get stuff you don't know about that I don't list here:shhh:. So I just wanted to point that out.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave

Not many fresh veggies will last up to four weeks. You should get in the habit of shopping for them weekly and making sure that you aren't giving them spoiled veggies.

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
Not many fresh veggies will last up to four weeks. You should get in the habit of shopping for them weekly and making sure that you aren't giving them spoiled veggies.
Read my post above yours. That's what lasts me 2-4 weeks.

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
Holy fishpaste! We spend about 15 bucks on cavy veggies per week, er, we should start shopping at the local markets. We have a lot of those...

Whenever we go shopping (my mom and I), I automatically pick up the pre-made salad packs and go, "the pigs'll love this"! And she's always taking the big head of lettuce instead. =/

I swear i'll get her to buy that someday... It has carrots, cucumbers, etc. and it looks so delicious.

Oh, and at the store we shop at, there are too many weird things going on there for people to notice how many veggies we're buying. =/
Plus, we only have two pigs at the moment and shop wheekly. Weekly.

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
Read my post above yours. That's what lasts me 2-4 weeks.

If they're you're pets it would be good for you to take charge of shopping for them rather then being reliant on what your mother happens to buy on a given week then you can make sure they get everything they need. Just FYI. It's good experience and practice for when you're living on your own when you're older to be a good cost conscious grocery shopper any how.

Cilantro for example would be a good addition to their diet and it's very inexpensive (I get it for .69/a bunch). Green leaf can also be found for under a dollar a head.

If you plan ahead you can also plant some veggies in the spring that will help cut costs and give your babies more variety.

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
I only have 2 pigs as well and let's just say Carly has developed a 'Drama Queen' attitude. She's very bossy. But you can't ignore her cause she's like the center of attention. Although, if you look at Sandy, you just want to hug her close because she's so chubby.

My mom was joking at the $1.58 thing because she was laughing and when she laughs, she jokes. Sometimes, our local Queens has buy 1 get the second one free deals like that on salad bags and last time they had Romaine Lettuce bags(all Romaine lettuce) for buy 1 get 1 99c. So we got that pretty cheap. Walmart is a bit more expensive then your low stores like Queens. We also have a local farmers market but we haven't gone to it yet but I think it would be cheaper :)

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
We also have a local farmers market but we haven't gone to it yet but I think it would be cheaper :)

Definitely cheaper. I get two to three full bags of produce twice a week and my veggie bill is under 20/weekly (for me, my family and my piggies)

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
If they're you're pets it would be good for you to take charge of shopping for them rather then being reliant on what your mother happens to buy on a given week then you can make sure they get everything they need. Just FYI. It's good experience and practice for when you're living on your own when you're older to be a good cost conscious grocery shopper any how.

Cilantro for example would be a good addition to their diet and it's very inexpensive (I get it for .69/a bunch). Green leaf can also be found for under a dollar a head.

If you plan ahead you can also plant some veggies in the spring that will help cut costs and give your babies more variety.
That's what I want to do. It'll save my Mom from buying their veggies. Plus, I think that would be a good experience for me. Walmart usually sells packs for $1.00 or lower and high veggies like squash cost about $1.50 or $2.00 which isn't that bad. I need to get outside more in the spring anyway because I'm a real lazybones.

Can you grow Cilantro? I know I have seen Green Leaf lettuce packets at Walmart but I don't think I looked for Cilantro. I'll have to see in the spring what Walmart sells. I'll take a mini notebook and write down some stuff and then bring it to you guys to make sure all that I want to grow is going to be good for them.

Sorry if I sounded mean to anyone earlier, I was just trying to explain stuff that they sometimes get.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.