Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

dilemma

money$

Cavy Slave
I got my baby girl, creamsicle, for christmas and she is nearing 3 months.:) She lives in a a 2x3 (off by a very few inches) cage with a 2x2 loft. Hopefully, in the near future i can build her a third floor, which would be 2x3.

I really wish i could build her a larger cage, but I dont have the room at this time. However, I leave her cage door open, so she has free range of my room during the day. Don't worry my room is pig proof. During the night i close the cage door.

I would really love to get creamsicle a friend, unfortunatley tho my cage is the bare minimal for 1 guinea.

So should i adopt my piggy a friend, even tho my cage is 2x3 cage, 2x2 loft, with free range of my room during the day or stick with spoiling my one girl? Please be honest, thank you!:eek:

ps. at what age should I switch from alfalfa to timothy hay

The size for 2 pigs is 2x4. That is only one more grid than what you have. Would it be possible to enlarge by just one grid? Piggies really do better with a friend.
Six months is the cut off from alfalafa to timothy hay.
Congradulations on your piggie. You will find this site to be a wonderful sorce of info and care for your new baby.

If you look on the front page you'll see that 2x3 is the minimum for two guinea pigs. You should still adopt another guinea pig, they are herd animals and prefer the company. With plenty of floor time a 2x3 is fine for two sows.
Along with alfalfa hay, you still need to provide unlimited timothy hay.

You stop feeding alfalfa supplements at around 6 months to a year. Your pig should always have timothy or grass hay.

Thanks for the advice! I've had guinea pigs when i was younger, and they have always lived in good sized cages, never pet store cages! It has been a couple years since I've last had one, and I've sure missed them. I would extend my cage, except it wasn't made with cubes.

I'm glad I stumbled across this page so i can provide my cavy with the best and proper care! Thanks again:cheerful:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.