Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Mounting Different sex pigs together

fbartel

Cavy Slave
So I have kind of an issue. My dad just bought me a guinea pig (I know I know, pet stores are bad, I didn't know he would buy one, it was a surprise). He thought it was a female but the store missexed it and it's a male: I already have a female guinea pig so I'm scared of housing them together.
My parents say that there shouldn't be an issue keeping them together because they are together in the wild, but I've heard stories about not letting different sex be together because pregnancy can be fatal. Is this true?
i don't know how to convince my parents to separate them.
What should I do?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Pregnancy is absolutely dangerous for guinea pigs, and the death rate for sows and pups is high. Additionally, guinea pigs are susceptible to a number of genetic diseases that can cause lifelong pain and crippling, and even death. We do NOT recommend that guinea pigs ever be deliberately bred.

If they are currently living together, please separate them immediately. If you want to keep them both, you could have the male neutered (it's an easier, cheaper operation for a male than a female), or you might find a rescue that would let you swap one of one sex for another. Please do not arrange a swap with the pet store -- pet store pigs are often sick, with parasites, and as you have found, missexed. The baby sows are often pregnant.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.