Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Dental care for new guinea pigs

Michelle87

Cavy Slave
So upon further inspection of my new guinea pigs, I notice they chew funny, like they cant chew their food very well. Spice isnt too bad, I checked her teeth as best I could and she eats veggies much better than Sugar. It is Sugar I am concerned about. She mouths her food mostly before awkwardly eating it. Upon inspection of her teeth, one upper incisor is broken. The other one is longer than it should be. She barely has any bottom incisors and from what I could feel (and her tongue could have been in the way),I couldn't feel any back teeth. However she does eat pellets so she must have something back there. Both guinea pigs have soft, long poops. For sugar, should I put her on critical care? What kind of diet should she be on until her teeth grow in properly?

***Please note I will be getting them into the vet as soon as humanly possible for a checkup and dental work and I can find a vet that can do it. I live in an area with not much for exotic vets***

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How old are these pigs?

It sounds as they they've been neglected for some time, and hay is the absolutely most critical thing they need next to water. It's what helps keep their teeth healthy and ground down.

It sounds like both of them will need vet visits. I know from what you've said you haven't got much for exotic vets but you DO need one, and one with dental experience as well. Choose wisely. You may have some distance to travel to get a vet that can do what you need, and you need to be prepared one way or the other for that eventuality as well.

You need to weigh them on a regular basis, preferably first thing in the morning before they've eaten much. If they're losing weight, you can supplement with Critical Care.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.