Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Dead leaves in hay

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
The batch of Meadow Hay I just bought has an abundance of dead leaves in, I mean seriously dead, they're all black and crumbly, so it's like they've been dead a while. The rest of the hay seems fine, albeit a few clumps of soil (wth?!) here and there. Should I just toss this and buy a new batch, or will it matter if the girls get at the dead leaves? I mean, I doubt they're actually going to eat them, I just don't want to keep putting it in the cage if it's going to do any harm.

I should add, the leaves and soil are in with all the....left over cuts? Y'know, the small bits of dusty type hay you get at the bottom of the bag. Only that stuff is in the side of the bags I get from this place, so I can't help but get bits of it out when I get the regular hay out.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
*bump* since the board seems more active now :)

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Ive been finding dried green leaves in my hay (Im scared its like, weed or something lol) in my oxbow hay. There aren't that many and every once in awhile I see them, but I pick them out.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Oxbow.....we're on to you ;)

See, I can't even pick these out, because the majority of them have crumbled in transit and are just...dead leaf dust, floating around in my hay...it's really annoying me! Of course any whole one's I come across don't make the cut and get tossed right away.

Artista

Cavy Slave
I'd toss it if nothing really looks good. I have this thing personally of putting browns and debris in. Just anal about it. I sort all the hay so Mooshy just gets nice green strands.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
The hay it's self looks good, it's just the small dusty bits are usually really good too (all just short green bits), where as this time, it's all....ick. I might email the company and mention it, since it's not usually like this. Luckily I've got some timothy hay stored away for emergencies such as this!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.