Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Custom outdoor playpen

piggylove2015

Cavy Slave
After talking to my vet i have learned so much from him. He was telling me about people he knows making playpens for outdoor time with grass floors!! He also said the sun is very beneficial for piggies, not the kind that comes through windows, the actual outdoor kind :) so i have decided to build my own outdoor time piggy pen for my back porch. Does anyone else have this or seen this before? Im excited to build a safe place for my piggies to play "outside".

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
He also said the sun is very beneficial for piggies, not the kind that comes through windows, the actual outdoor kind :)
There is really only one kind of sunshine. He probably meant direct sunshine, rather than indirect :)

so i have decided to build my own outdoor time piggy pen for my back porch. Does anyone else have this or seen this before? Im excited to build a safe place for my piggies to play "outside".

Yes, this is a pretty common idea but it doesn't have to be something difficult or complicated. It can be as simple as 10 or so grids (same as you would build C&C cage) zip tied together and formed into either a circle or rectangle. The important thing to remember is, guinea pigs should NEVER be left unsupervised outside. We have heard too many stories about predators (even the human kind) coming in to cause harm to the pigs.

piggylove2015

Cavy Slave
Cavymama, i would never leave them unsupervised at my house, in the woods. We have chickens running around dogs and cats. That's why i wanted to build something for on my back porch. We use the back porch a lot to grill and sit and watch the deer. So it's a very used area so supervision is possible. We have fox, coyotes and hawks here i would never even attempt to put them in the yard somewhere even with some sort of screen or pen.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't put them in a place where there is only direct sunlight and no shade.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It sounds like a cool idea as long as someone will be out there with them. Are you going to plant grass on the floor of it, to make it more like sitting in a yard?

piggylove2015

Cavy Slave
I actually found a nice size plastic container with low sides. I was thinking about building of of wood, but it would rot being outside and pressure treated would penalty not be healthy for the piggys. Ill plant grass in the bottom of the container and use grids to make the sides higher. I was also thinking of planting some herbs in it as well. I think i read somewhere piggies can eat parsley but I'll have to research it.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It would have to be a pretty large plastic container for the pigs to be able to spend much time in there.

Yes, of course pigs can eat parsley.

piggylove2015

Cavy Slave
Its a decent size. If all works well, i will more than likely upgrade it... want to make sure i can grow grass first lol. I can grow everything else so hopefully it works.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.