Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Crusty hair above my guinea pig's nose? [pics inside]

emma591

Cavy Slave
Hi, so I've taken my guinea pig in to the vet last week for a mite injection. He'd been scratching a lot lately (and I later spotted some dandruff behind his ears after the visit). The vet gave him the shot and one for vitamin C, and wanted me to return with a stool sample. I returned that and it came back negative for worms.

Anyway, besides that and a bit of lethargy, he seems okay. Still eating like a champ, as pictured from earlier yesterday:

Crusty hair above my guinea pig's nose? [pics inside]

...unfortunately, later that night I've found this on his nose:

I would call it a scab, but because of his fur it's more like a piece of his hair suddenly got crusty and weird? I'm too afraid to remove it, because I'm sure neither of us would enjoy it much, so if I could get any second opinions on what this could be I would truly appreciate it. Thanks.

My guinea pig just got an injection for mites two days ago. He has hair missing on his nose and a little crusty spot, it doesn't look exactly like yours but I think it is similar. You can always soak it with warm water on a wash cloth to see if it come off :)

Take a look at the picture of www.guinealynx.info/cheilitis.html and see if it looks like that picture. If it does, you need to see a vet -- it's not something you can get the medicine to treat yourself.

It's hard to tell what it is or looks like from the photos. It could be a bit of fungus--some pigs seem to develop some on their noses.

It's hard to tell what it is or looks like from the photos. It could be a bit of fungus--some pigs seem to develop some on their noses.
Mm. That is what I'm beginning to suspect. I gave him a bath today, and in the light I noticed that the spot was a bit discolored... so it's a possibility. :/ On top of that, he's been getting some gunk in the corner of his eyes; it's the second time I've caught it this week. I'm very anxious to see what's going on, but I'll need to wait until Monday... in the meantime, I did a thorough clean-up of his cage, so if the source came from somewhere in there it's hopefully long gone now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.