Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Congested Congested breathing

MookaGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig sometimes sounds a bit congested when she breathes. It usually goes away after a while though. About two weeks ago we brought her to the vet to see what was going on, and though they thought she looked fine, they prescribed her baytril just to be safe. She took the medication fine and was breathing normally until she finished the prescription on Monday. Now she's been sounding congested since this morning. Should I take her back to the vet to get another prescription, or do you think she's okay and it will just pass?

What kind of bedding is she on?

She's been on fleece bedding since last year.
(Also, I just made her an appointment at the vet today in a couple of hours)

The cause is not likely to be dust if she's on fleece, unless her hay is unusually dusty.

She may not have had a long enough course of Baytril and the infection just didn't get wiped out. Or she might need a different antibiotic. I think your vet visit today is a good idea.

The hay is actually quite dusty, but I'm not sure if that's what is causing it. It might be, though. Thanks for your help!

Try taking the hay outside and shaking it thoroughly before giving it to her. That could be it. If that helps, try hay from a different supplier. What kind is she getting now?

I will try that, thank you :) I get their hay from Agway. I don't think that the hay is the problem, though, because we just got back from the vet who said that she might be congested still because she wasn't on the Baytril for long enough. We got some more Baytril for her so hopefully it will help!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.