Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Breeding Cloning Vs. Adoption

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
@Crystalkate After you said that, I went on Google and looked up "Human Cloning" and got this: Human cloning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It just creeped me out! They never say it from what I saw, but I got the feeling from the piece that they have already cloned humans. They even at one point talked about mixing animal and human DNA. So someone can turn me into half guinea pig ().() It also says that it is partially legal in the USA. O>O Even that if someone's body is dying in theory if it was allowed, they could simply make them a new body to but their brain into. What has the world come to.

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
Oh my gosh that is crazy LOL Creepy! I can't imagine what things will be like 20 years from now.

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Something tells me that those cloned dogs are going to take over the world. Literally. One day they will kill their humans then turn into monsters and kill the rest of the world. I just don't trust that sort of thing.

Anyways, I'm actually really confused on how this whole thing works.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Something tells me that those cloned dogs are going to take over the world. Literally. One day they will kill their humans then turn into monsters and kill the rest of the world. I just don't trust that sort of thing.

Anyways, I'm actually really confused on how this whole thing works.

That made me laugh pretty hard.

Anyways, I doubt things will turn into some badly written science fiction movie. I don't think people need to be super scared by our ability to clone things. Relax.

Tunundary

Cavy Slave
I'd really be interested in your scholarly references for these statements.....especially the part about "now at the ends of our DNA there is a lot of junk which doesn't matter........" If you know anything about telemeres, you wouldn't make this statement. Very few scientists consider telomeres as "junk".

There are a few of us who are researchers and healthcare professionals on this Forum and statements like these won't often go unchallenged.

I was trying to simplify the idea as much as possible. Now I know it's important, but much of its function is to protect the sequences that that replicate proteins. Telomeres are repetitive sequences that protect the DNA. It is also hard to type out a complete thought over an hour while working and typing it up on a phone.

emeraldamykate

Cavy Slave
Maybe it's the soon to be broke college student in me, but I could not imagine spending $150,000 to clone one of my pets. With that kind of money you could open up your own animal rescue and help tons of animals. Isn't that a better way to honor your pet's memory?

Oh, I could see it now! Shelby's Shelter for cats, dogs, and small animals!
Now if only I had the $150,000! :D

Dee_E

Cavy Slave
The problem with cloning is that DNA is that whenever it replicates it loses a bit of its integrity. Think of DNA as the zipper on a suitcase, one with two zippers. When it is replicated it is unzipped as far as it will go. The DNA is copied, but the parts covered up by the zipper are not copied. The result is a shorter strand of DNA. Now at the ends of our DNA there is a lot of junk which doesn't matter and it protects the crucial sequences. When you clone an animal you take DNA that has already been replicated a lot already so the cloned animals DNA starts to lose crucial sequences when it is replicated.

Exactly, an exact copy will not be made.

I thought that people who had their pets stuffed was over the top. I look at it this way, my beloved critters have pass or will pass, I don't WANT a 'copy' of them as they are unique in their own way and that belongs to them. Make sense?

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Oh, I could see it now! Shelby's Shelter for cats, dogs, and small animals!
Now if only I had the $150,000! :D
Exactly! I'm by no means well off, but I've made donations in past pets' names to animal shelters and adopted Amy and Borat in Mufasa's honor. Can you imagine what you could do if you were a millionaire? That's actually one of the things I respect about Seth "Family Guy" McFarlane. It bothers me the way he seems to depict a lot of cat abuse in his cartoons, but then I discovered that he donated the money to create a cat shelter in his deceased mother's honor (she was a cat rescuer), focused on hard-to-adopt kitties like FIV positive etc.

Speaking of which, "Family Guy" did a rather interesting episode on cloning. Let's hope the same thing doesn't happen to those poor dogs that happened to the Brian and Stewie clones (and the clones of their clones).

scruffytufty

Cavy Slave
i just think everything has a soul, and i dont think clones have them o.0

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.