Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pigsitting Check-list for my pigsitter (need sugestions)

Neferyn

Cavy Slave
Hey guys.

In August i'm going on vacations and my piggie will stay with a friend for 2 weeks. She's knowledgeable about animals in general but she never had a piggie before so i'm doing a list of danger signals she should pay attention to.
Can you help me out and see if i'm missing something important that might not be very obvious for someone that doesnt know much about piggies?

So far i have:

Danger signals

Very serious (take immediately to the vet)
Diarrhea
Absence of feces
Bloated abdomen
Hipersalivation with fast breathing, apathy, weakness and warm ears (heat stroke, use a wet towel with cold but not ice water)

Less serious (call me)
Lack of apetite
Moist, soft or stuck together feces
Crusty eyes
Sneezes
Nasal discharge

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
Looks like a good list!
One thing you may want to add is head tilt. I just went away on vacation last week and when I got home, one of my pigs had head tilt. I took her out to look at her and she immediately started seizuring :(
The vet said she had an inner ear infection and she's on meds and doing fine now. I just wish that either me or my boyfriend (the one who was pigsitting) would've caught it earlier so she wouldn't have had a seizure.

Neferyn

Cavy Slave
Oh thanks. I didn't include that one cause it's pretty obvious to me but since it may not be the same for everyone I'll add it to the list.
I think this covers pretty much the most common issues.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.