Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Chattering teeth.

kp53179

Cavy Slave
Does anyone have any idea why my pig is acting like this?

The last few days I keep trying to pick him up but he keeps chattering his teeth. I can pet him while in the cage but he says forget it when I try to pick him up. I am being careful cause I dont want him to bite me cause of the chattering. Nothing has happened for him to be scared or anything. He is my pig who is hard to hold for more than 5 minutes because he is not so nice. I am beginning to think that this pig just doesn't like human contact. My other one is a complete cuddle bug so I feel bad when I hold him and not the other. Does anyone else have this problem?

Shags chatters to but he is really friendly so I always thought it was his way of saying hi. So does this mean the chattering is a bad thing?

Yes chattering of the teeth is normally not a good sign between two pigs (that is what I thought) I figured it would be the same for the chattering to me as well. He just runs and if hes in a corner where he cant run he just chatters so I am guessing he doesnt want it. Mine isnt always friendly though. He has such a strong personality. When you hold him he is all over the place and nips at ur fingers as if hes trying to get out so i dont know. If your pig lets you pick him up just fine maybe it is a sign of being happy.

Teeth chattering is a warning sign, a guinea pigs way of telling you to leave them alone. Kp53179, try sitting by your piggies cage and talking to them softly and read a book, every so often offer them little veggies. He might still be scared of you, causing the teeth chattering and he just needs to learn that you are not a threat but instead a friend who brings the food of course. Food is always the way to piggies hearts.

Ok thanks for the tips. Yes shags does let me hold and loves to snuggle up and he lets me take him out of his cage camly. I hope its just a sign of happyness! but I will do the soft talking thing with him to c if that helps. Thanks so much

Thanks Guineapigs2468, its weird cause he used to be the one that would run to me first while my other one was shy. They definitely switched personalities with that and I am not sure what caused him to be "scared" of me but I will definitely try that. I do sit in the cage with them (on a clean spot of course lol) and talk to them. They love when I stand in the cage to clean the kitchen, they both run across my feet over and over. Today I had a pig on each foot just sitting there as if my feet were their beds lol.

Ok thanks for the tips. Yes shags does let me hold and loves to snuggle up and he lets me take him out of his cage camly. I hope its just a sign of happyness! but I will do the soft talking thing with him to c if that helps. Thanks so much

Maybe he is just asserting his dominance around you, and teeth chattering to show you who's boss.(Not positive with that but it could be what his doing). If he enjoys being held and likes to snuggle etc, I think you have one happy piggy. But not all piggies will want that, some just prefer the company of other piggies.

Thanks Guineapigs2468, its weird cause he used to be the one that would run to me first while my other one was shy. They definitely switched personalities with that and I am not sure what caused him to be "scared" of me but I will definitely try that. I do sit in the cage with them (on a clean spot of course lol) and talk to them. They love when I stand in the cage to clean the kitchen, they both run across my feet over and over. Today I had a pig on each foot just sitting there as if my feet were their beds lol.
lol My piggies do that sometimes, only it seems they do this when I was only stepping in to pick up a tipped over hidey or bowl then I realise I can't move my foot due to piggy pile on. :D

Every now and then my piggie does that. It means they are annoyed.

Lol that is funny. I find it funny how they love the feet but when your literally sitting there on the ground with them they won't come near you sometimes. Interesting little animals :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.