Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Medications CBD oil for the elderly pigs

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
For elderly piggies has anyone thought of giving or actually given CBD oil to the piggies for arthritis? It has a proven tract record for humans, dogs and cats, so naturally I wondered about using it for the pigs too.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Proven by whom? Medications like that are neither thoroughly tested, nor regulated. What you get are anecdotal stories from people who have used it, and those are notoriously unreliable.

I wouldn't take it myself, and I certainly wouldn't give it to my guinea pigs.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Those states are few and far between, and there's a ton of fraud in testing of non-ethical pharmaceuticals. I wouldn't do it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What are the opposite of "ethical" pharmaceuticals called? I know there's a term for it, but I can't remember it.

Right out of college, I went to work for Parke Davis as a chemist, and remember being very amused by the idea of ethical and unethical pharmaceuticals.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I happen to live in one of those states and as a health professional am probably closer to the industry than most. And it is considered ethical whether or not it has been rigorously tested. CBD oil (in rub-on form) is known for its pain-relieving properties for arthritis and other physical issues. I would be reluctant to use it on a cavy simply from the standpoint of potentially making him ill. Would at least want to use it on myself before treating a cavy.

I just started using it for my dog and my sister just started using it too. I am now using Kratom for pain relief after tapering off my 6 Tramadol a day. I am getting much better pain relief without the side effects and dopey feeling I always had with two. It's refreshing to be able to use Kratom and to be able to drive when with the Tramadol I didn't risk it. I am thinking of adding CBD oil or a medical MJ as Maryland is starting medical but I do not want the high.

As for an older cavy, I was thinking a drop behind an ear daily to start. I am starting to see how many herbs are so beneficial over prescription medications as they can work just as well without all the various side effects that some of us seem to get no matter what.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I admittedly have never heard of Kratom.......had to look it up. It looks really interesting and definitely something I need to know more about. I live in chronic pain and am sensitive to opiates so am always looking for alternatives. I too had thought of a drop or two of CBD oil behind a cavy's ear, much as we administer Ivermectin.

The way the medical marijuana system works in CT is that one must obtain a verified diagnosis (from a mental health professional) that is on a list of conditions for which MM can be approved. That individual then takes the paperwork to a physician who then interviews/screens them for a MM card. They pay that physician a consultation fee ($300) plus $100 for the card which must be renewed after a year.

I have an MD friend who is one of about a half-dozen such physicians in the state so I have a unique perspective and a pipeline of information from which to draw. My husband and BIL both suffer from chronic, severe pain and use MM. I find it pretty amazing at just how sophisticated the formulations are and getting better all the time. However, until they come up with one that has no psychotropic effect, I won't be using it.

As a person who practices Chinese Medicine, I am accustomed to using herbs and other natural remedies whenever possible. I've seen too many nasty side effects from using multiple pharmaceuticals.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Spy9doc, Kratom received a lot of bad press pushing a lot of misinformation around because of the DEA trying to do an emergency ban on it last year. But what people need to realize it wasn't even on their drug watch report of 2016, there is a company testing a synthetic version of it, which I now see why the DEA tried the ban. As what they used for the reason for the ban was a complete joke if you look at it in perspective. I have Spinal Stenosis, I had a laminectony on L4 & L5, arthritis of the spine(my surgeon's words were my spine looked like an 80 year old. L4 & L5 are at a grade 1 slippage. I have carpal tunnel in both arms, the nerves affected are by the elbow. I also have cubical tunnel in my right hand. I know I have arthritis in my hands and elbows and shoulders too. I have TMJ and suffer migraines that I take two preventives for. I am going to apply for my card, I am sad to find out I can not see my primary for this as it's just silly that she will write me a script that gives ungodly side effects but not write a script or what ever for MM. I have dropped pain management as the Tramadol at 6 a day was not working so much after 2 1/2 years and I did not want anything heavier. I spent a few months looking up Kratom when a few people in my spinal stenosis group talked about it. It's an amazing plant, I can mix a red and white for daytime, red is for pain and white is for energy. Add a pinch of green for a mood boost if I want and take plain red for bedtime. I'm linking a video from PBS NewsHour for you to watch. I have convert a few in my personal life to using it for pain. NOW a major warning about it. It tastes like crap, I pronounce it as craptom... but its a quick shot drink as I mix it in chocolate milk. Some do a toss and wash others fill their own capsules with it. I have other links too if you want just pm me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmqrWlrie4g

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the information...I'll check it out. I have a feeling that it's time to take this discussion off-list. I'll PM you after I've had time to do a bit of research.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.