Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cat Litter? Thread about cats - not pigs

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
Silly Question, but is Loki neutered? Intact male cats often like to spray and do their business where ever they please, like not in the litter box. If he is neutered, just disregard this question and forget about it.

If he likes clean litter, use the litter robot that Paula was talking about. My are quite picky as well, and it works very well for them.

Hi Shaffy,

Well, this is kind of a weird answer. Loki is a male calico. He's the one in this picture with his eyes closed (foreground - that is his litter mate in the background):

He is a genetic oddity. He's what's known as a "Klinefelter" male. He has the X and Y chromosomes that make him a male, plus an extra X. The extra X makes him a calico because the gene that dictates the pattern of a cat is carried on the female X chromosome, and the XY gives him male attributes. As I understand it, in order for a cat to be a calico, there must be two XX chromosomes present. The estimated statistics are one in every three-thousand.

So to answer your question, he is sterile. We had him checked throughly and he has absolutely NO testicles. None. :eye-poppi

On the other hand, Bugsy Siegel (my tonkinese male cat) used to spray all over until I had him fixed, so I understand what you are saying about that.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
Ditto on not having enough boxes. Number of cats plus 1 is ideal, so you're actually 3 boxes short.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
MissF, that's your problem, he's a calico! Every calico I have even know (or had) has been truly weird! Just teasing. I have heard it said that the same chromosomes that give them their spectacular color also leaves them a little short "upstairs". I had a female years ago that was the oddest cat I have ever encountered. I loved her to death though. They just seem to be quirky. Whatever the cause of the boy's behavior, I hope that you can get it resolved soon. I know how troublesome bad potty habits can be.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.