Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Casper's Medical Thread: lesion on testicle

Update: Sad news, my friends. I had to euthanize Casper today. 😢

The recent infection that caused him to have his last lower incisor extracted wasn't getting better on the one antibiotic to which the culture was sensitive. The abscessed area had closed up, but was continuing to swell, becoming firm, and - as of last night- STINKING to high heavens.

Since this past weekend, Casper was showing signs that he was starting to feel badly again. I dropped him at the vet this morning before work to have him sedated and examined. The vet said that when he opened the "abscess" there was no abscess anymore. It was an extensive area of necrotic tissue. This was not something that could be fixed.

And so I did the only thing left that I could do to protect him from suffering.

He was the bravest little pig I've ever known. Honestly, it would've been easier to euthanize him if he hadn't been so strong... Even this morning, he was still eating, with half his jaw dead, as painful as that surely had to have been. But I wasn't going to wait until his strength left him, suffering needlessly in this now-unwinnable fight. It was his privilege as a beloved pet to be spared this suffering, as it is my duty as his caretaker to protect him from it. I only wish that all of us were so lucky.

"My Heart has joined The Thousands, for my friend stopped running today." Goodbye, Casper-rah. It was an honor and a privilege to be a part of your remarkable story. 🥲

I'm so sorry you lost him. You took wonderful care of him, and preventing any further suffering was the right thing to do.

I was so encouraged to hear that he was able to eat again and was doing well. This is definitely not the news update I was hoping for.

I am so very sorry you lost him. Having to send a pig across the Rainbow Bridge is just the worst kind of pain. Even though in the past I've known it was the right thing to do, the kind thing to do, I always second guessed myself and even now I still do.

Rest in peace at the Rainbow Bridge, Casper. Know how much you are loved, and how much you will be missed. You're going to have so many new friends there you won't know what to do with yourself. If you see my boys, tell them I love them and I miss them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.