Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Carrier?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
What do you guys use for your pigs for vet visits, etc.? I know a lot of people use old pet store cages but that's not really an option for me, especially if I ever were to need to take ALL the pigs somewhere at one time. For that same reason the carrier I made out of extra cube grids won't work.

I have one of these: (broken link removed)

I'm reasonably satisfied with it, but before I go buy several more at ~$15 each I wondered if anybody knew of a better one? I'd prefer something collapsible but that's not a requirement and I'm willing to pay more for a better quality item, so any suggestions, please pass 'em on. :)

Gracias.

Last edited:

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
I use a rectangular laundry basket for two boars, and a circular one for my loner. They're something everyone has, and waterproof. Don't know if that's something that would work for you or not.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
For short trips when we don't have the cats, I use the cat's carrier. Its just a plain hard sided kennel type cat size carrier. For longer trips when we have the cats with us (and the cat carriers are occupied) I use this, a folding wire dog crate I put in a litter box and hay, and a blanket on the left over part. I also put a towel over it to keep out the sun. Sorry for the bad quality pic its all I got.
Carrier?

Also, the cat was only allowed up there because we were stopped, eating lunch, when we're driving he's crated. You can't really see it but the thing on the left side is a hayrack, the dog leash is clipped to the door handle thing because it tapped against the side of the door the whole time and was driving me mad.

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
I use a hard sided small carrier. I think the hard sided ones are safest in case they get bumped or accidently hit with something, but that's just me.

camende

Cavy Slave
How many pigs are we talking?

The most I have had at any one time is 7. I've taken them all to the vet at once. All I used was a couple cardboard boxes. Just make sure they are tall enough so the piggies can't get out. I put some fleece in the bottom...add a little hay, and they are good to go.

One advantage of the cardboard box is the piggies can all huddle together. They are usually already freaked with being removed from the cage. At least, if they are all together, they will comfort each other.

If I am only taking 1 or 2, I use a cat carrier.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Yup, I will need a total of 8 separate carriers.

Right now this is looking like the best option: Marshall Carry Sack - Ferret.com

Thanks to everybody for your input. :) Keep the ideas coming.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I suggest you make sure you have something for transporting your pigs not just for the vet but also incase there is an emergency and you need to evacuate with your piggies. I just use a plastic cat carrier. It's only for emergencies and vet visits. The sack you are looking at looks like there is a possibility of chewing a hole. Also can it hold a piggy in a car without them escaping? You'll find what works for you.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I suggest you make sure you have something for transporting your pigs not just for the vet but also incase there is an emergency and you need to evacuate with your piggies.

That's exactly what's prompted me to look. I have something that works for vet (or, planned) trips but I want to make sure and have something in case of emergency (God forbid, of course). I'm specifically looking for something collapsible so that it will store well and not take up a lot of room, which would not be the case with the hard cat carriers.

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
Build-a-bear workshop has one for there stuffed animal dogs...it loooks like it would work
Build-A-Bear Workshop-United States: Shop: Details

hope i helped....they also offer the carriers in a purse form too in diffrent shades of pink!
Build-A-Bear Workshop-United States: Shop: Details

the one above is a mini onelol

I personally wouldn't use these as they are not marketed for animals, rather stuffed animals. Honestly, they don't look very durable and a determined animal would most likely have no problem chewing through the side or the mesh. There are soft sided carriers on the market that are safer for animals and more durable and sturdy.

Slave to the Wheek

Cavy Slave
Ooo! I love a good Google challenge! Bring it on sister! hehe.. there are a couple of ideas I've found for that many pigs:

First, assuming this is just for an emergency evacuation type thing these are what came to mind when you first brought it up. My feeling is that they are stackable, which would allow you to stack them up on a luggage carrier or dolly and roll everyone out quickly. They are only 10 1/2 inches high so you could stack 5 or 6 and still reach the top.

You'd have to deal with some kind of cover once they are unstacked, so they aren't perfect solution, but it might inspire you for something else. They are neat though and they do appear to have a solid bottom:
(broken link removed)

Nice part is they could be housed in these for several days safely I would think..

Now...how about water and bedding..?? ACK! I can't imagine evacuating with my 4 pigs, let alone 16..That gets me to thinking!

tmb_3410

Cavy Slave
For vet visits only (not for evacs.) I use the Pet Taxi Carrier.

It fits my two boars, and it has a soft bottom that I cover with towels & fleece to make it comfy for them. The sides are mesh, but I cover that with newspaper so not only can they chew on that instead, it makes it feel more safe for the piggies.

This is more of a carrier for short-term trips, like to the vet & back, not for travelling or emergencies.

It's just handy because it opens both at the top & the sides so there are multiple ways to get the pigs in the carrier or you can allow them to walk right out/in.

I bought this here in Canada- but I am sure it would be found in the US:

(broken link removed)

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
SttW, I really, really like the stacking containers. The thing is, I have 1x2 travel cages that I made with cubes and some extra coroplast, and those are perfectly suitable for longer trips, say a move, where I could put water bottles and bedding in well ahead of time.

I was specifically looking for something that could be grabbed in a hurry to put pigs in and get out if it ever became necessary. I wanted something collapsible for easy storage in the "pig room" and something fairly easy so we wouldn't really have to think about assembling anything.

I found one both my husband and I really like and think will be easy enough in an emergency, should we need them: (broken link removed) (aside from the dog bone flap, they're perfect, and it turns out that can be rolled back.)

I needed a total of 8 carriers, and this is the one I ended up going with. I found them on eBay for a killer price. (I :love: eBay).

Thanks everybody for your help and suggestions!

Slave to the Wheek

Cavy Slave
Wow! Those are perfect! You can strap them all around you and probably get 4 or more of them on you at one time. I have 4 pigs and the idea that I could get them into the car with one trip is tempting, as it's almost time to get all 4 in for some wellness and follow-up visits with Dr. Nakamura.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.